1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Told I can't return part time

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by zara1981, Oct 17, 2015.

1. zara1981

zara1981 New commenter

Hi,
    I have recently met with my head to discuss me returning to work in January. I have asked the head if I can return to work partime (1,2 or 3 days). She told me she will not support my application because she wants the children to have continuity and wants to decrease the number of part time staff not increase them. This to me seems unfair. Other teacher have dropped days because they are about to retire. I need to work part time because my husband works very long hours and as you all know teachers also do and this would just be unmanageable for both of us with our baby. She said I can write a letter to the governers and it will be discussed. She has told me previously that I am one of her best teachers so I feel really let down.

Can they refuse my application for part time and does anyone have an example of a letter? Worried teacher

2. dt201

dt201 Occasional commenter

I believe they have to have business reasons not to. Sounds like her reason (not saying she's right) is that staff continuity is better for the students. If you do go to the governors you would have to put your case forward for how it would not affect the students. I'm sure someone will answer you in more detail as I'm no expert.

3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Above is correct. To be honest you are better putting this on workplace dilemmas. I imagine you may well get a more objective response, and a wider range of opinions than on 'pregnancy' with the greatest respect.

In your position i think you will have to make the case here, rather than the HT. Their reasons are legitimate, particularly if backed up by data. It sounds harsh, and I would think the same if I or my partner were in your position, but it is their job to run the school. In an age where HT are removed quite quickly in case of poor performance maybe you can understand? Primary or Secondary btw?

The fact about others is irrelevant. Cases are judged on their merits. There is no precedent just because someone else has got it. Likewise I am afraid the fact you see yourself as a 'valuable teacher' even if the HT has said it, is irrelevant. If you were to threaten to walk though this may play on the HT's mind... You have to decide whether you wish to give this ultimatum though.

First thing i would do is put together a plan to show how it could be done in practice. Also flexibility on days, part days will help your case.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You should put your request formally in writing, outlining your reasons and also helpfully outlining how this can be managed and the benefits to the school - This gives your request the best chance of being considered favourably.

The upshot is that you have the right to make your request… but not the right to have your request granted. Indeed your head teacher can give any business reason they like be in continuity for pupils, or budget against cost of multiple part time staff.

5. zara1981

zara1981 New commenter

Thank you for your replies. I'm a primary school teacher. Budget wise I would of thought it would be cheaper to employ a teacher on MPS for a few days rather than me? I currently train PGCE and BED students so I was wondering whether a equal job share with an NQT might be beneficial financially and training wise for the school (but obviously there would need to be some time to plan together?

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Purely from a budget point of view… It rarely works out cheaper, even if the other teacher is the cheapest possible option, to employ two part time members of staff rather than one full time. Both members of staff are entitled to pay progression all be it no longer automatic. Both are entitled to pension contribution, entitlement to CPD, childcare voucher salary sacrifice and sickness absence… Similarly they might not want to lose the skills you bring as a full time member of staff in being a student mentor…

While I personally would hope an employer would see the benefit of retaining valuable staff by granting their requests, I can see why a school has to consider these things very carefully.

I advise that you read TheoGriffs advice on composing your formal request for part time working letter to make sure you give your request its best possible chance :)