1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Toilet policy

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by benfebery, Jul 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benfebery

benfebery New commenter

Hi there. I’m in my 4th year of teaching and I now teach year 6 and I do not let them go to the toilet in lesson time. I had one boy requested to use the toilet straight after lunch which finishes at 1pm and we don’t finish school till 4pm! I refused his 3 requests has he should of gone at lunch. However, I had another request in a pe lesson which was athletics do I let them go in pe lessons or make them hold it in?

Is my policy too strict?

2. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

Yes, it is too strict! Most people need to use the loo at least every 2-3 hours so let them go, certainly 1 hour + after lunch. It is only reasonable.

Stiltskin and bonxie like this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Depends on the school, the class and the pupil.
    I currently let mine go whenever they ask...but I now teach nursery.
    In year 6 I used to usually let them go if they asked, but for some children, in some years I didn't because I knew they were trying it on.

I worry that a child who clearly needs to go was refused. He first asked at 1pm and you made him wait 3 hours. That is not ok.

I'm equally concerned by your use of 'of' rather than 'have'.

HelenREMfan and Stiltskin like this.
  4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

It can depend on the situation, age of the child and what other staff do.
    With younger pupils, yes, I let them go - I don’t want a puddle on the floor! As they get older I may ask if they can wait while I explain the next activity or complete the activity we’re in the middle of before they go. Often they say yes, they can do that. If they say they can’t, then I let them go. With Year 5 and 6 it’s certainly fine to point out that they’ve just had break and that’s the time to go, and if that message is repeated and understood then hopefully they would stop walking in from break and promptly asking to go to the loo. But not being able to go at all between 1pm and 4pm is too long. I imagine the lessons change at some points between 1pm and 4pm - they could certainly be encouraged to go at those times, too, rather than in the middle of a lesson. Children don’t usually keep asking unless they genuinely need to go, so you have to be sensitive and flexible, too.

5. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

If a child really needs the toilet and has to ask three times, how do you think they feel? If you were in that situation, how much attention would you be giving to whatever it was that you were supposed to be doing? Yes, most year 6 pupils shouldn't need the toilet shortly after lunch but after that some are likely to be concentrating on holding it in rather than learning anything.

6. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

Why mention that lunch ‘finishes at 1pm and we don’t finish school until 4pm!’ in this way? Maybe this is cynical, but that sounds like a parent querying a school’s policy.

In any case, I agree with others that going to the toilet is not something to be rationed. Holding it in can lead to bladder problems and soiling, how humiliating the latter would be in Year Six I cannot imagine.

If it’s obvious a pupil is abusing the system, then obviously something would have to be put into place,in liaison with parent/carer.

7. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Sometimes, the best way to figure out if they're trying it on is to ask them to wait while you get through what they are teaching. It needn't be long - five or ten minutes. Most will agree and many will just forget until it's break time or home time.

8. benfebery

benfebery New commenter

Today I’ve had two children ask for the toilet after break I refused their request. They didn’t ask again so they can hold it in as they forgot. But I get it when it comes to the afternoon a different approach required

9. teandcake

teandcake New commenter

I am a secondary teacher and I never let students go straight after break or lunch, however if it is during other lessons I let them go, but one at a time as I don't want them going to the toilet to gossip. If they complain I tell them that I can't go during the middle of the lesson, so I am following the same rules as them.

It sometimes depends on how much work they have done or at what point in the lesson, I don't let students go while I am teaching from the board, and I often say you can go when you have completed so many questions (it gets them working faster)

benfebery likes this.
  10. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You have to use a bit of judgement. Another useful strategy is to get them to make up the time later - those who are trying it on aren't likely to if they know they'll have to do that, whereas those who really need to go won't care.
    I had one lad who always seemed to need to go during my double maths lesson. We were a large enough secondary to have a school nurse, so she had him in to check whether there was a medical problem, and the requests stopped. (He was a timid lad, and I think he just liked a few minutes to himself.)

11. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

The OP mentioned PE - I would always let a pupil go to the loo when teaching trampolining. Most kids if needing the loo would go in the changing room loo before going to the sport venue but there was always the chance that someone's period had started so I would allow the visit generally. Very few kids asked during sessions other than trampolining.

Generally some common sense is needed and surely one can usually tell whether it is little Johnny etc trying it on ? Using one's sympathy, nouse and common sense will surely sort this issue ?

12. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

I used to let them but replied to the request with.."If you need to go it's fine but you have to come back at (whatever the next break was, lunch, break etc) and do 3 times the amount of time to catch up"...very rarely needed to.

13. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Was your refusal in line with the school policy? If so, no problem.

Is the child the type to meekly go home and not tell his mother? If so, no problem.

Is the parent the type to take the view "school knows best" and back you? If so, no problem.

If your refusal was not in line with the school policy - ie the HT allows staff to be a little flexible depending on the situation, and the child is the type to complain to his mum, and mum is the type to storm in to complain to the HT, then there is a problem. The fact you refused three times indicates the child did need to go.

I think you need to be a little more flexible. Bear in mind that Year 6 is the point where girls - if you're in a mixed school - can start to menstruate. They will need the toilet. As another poster has said, making a child wet or soil themselves does not reflect well on you.

Perhaps you could set up a "Time in Lieu" system, as others have suggested. They go to the loo but have to make up the five minutes.

14. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Can 'hold it in' and should are two very different things.

15. benfebery

benfebery New commenter

Today we had a pe lesson athletics. 1 boy asked to go to the toilet on the walk down to the athletics track. I refused his request has we just left the changing rooms. He should of gone then. He said he desperately needed a wee. He didn’t ask again until 10 mins before the end lessons which runs an hour. I then let him go! But should he of held it in

16. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Is anyone else finding it really difficult to believe the OP is a Year 6 teacher?

17. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

With that grammar he can't be. He's very...persistent though :rolleyes:

18. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.