1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Toilet paper... which way do you hang yours?!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4561, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Just curious, as I read an article years ago, which studied the way people hang their toilet paper.
    Apparently extroverts are more likely to put theirs on the roll hanger with the loose edge closer to the toilet (away from the wall) and introverts prefer their loose sheets closer to the wall.
    I get annoyed if OH has the inner sheet to the wall, and although I would never actually say anything, I turn it around so that the outer sheet is hanging closer to the toilet....it actually disturbs me, if it's the wrong way round....... [​IMG]
    Do you have a preference? And do you think the extrovert/introvert toilet paper theory is true?!

2. Just curious, as I read an article years ago, which studied the way people hang their toilet paper.
    Apparently extroverts are more likely to put theirs on the roll hanger with the loose edge closer to the toilet (away from the wall) and introverts prefer their loose sheets closer to the wall.
    I get annoyed if OH has the inner sheet to the wall, and although I would never actually say anything, I turn it around so that the outer sheet is hanging closer to the toilet....it actually disturbs me, if it's the wrong way round....... [​IMG]
    Do you have a preference? And do you think the extrovert/introvert toilet paper theory is true?!

3. I have to have it hanging away from the wall and have been known to "have words" with my children if they put it the wrong way.
    Not sure if that identifies me as an extrovert though, I have extrovert tendencies and introvert tendencies all at the same time! I think my children would say that it just identifies me as a fussy old moo [​IMG]

4. Thanks for reply... I'm the same. I can appear extroverted and chatty when I'm out, and at work, but I actually prefer to be alone much of the time, and dread visitors.....

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

For some unaccountable reason my sweetheart has recently taken to remove the roll from the holder and leave it on the edge of the bath. The first thing I noticed for a while was the bare holder and would frantically seek out a replacement roll before I sat down. It's the sort of thing that would have had us engage in words when I was younger, but I'm passed all that now.

6. [​IMG]

7. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I honestly don't know !
    *runs off to have a look*
    At the moment, it's hanging with the paper hanging down on the outside, but the next roll may well be different!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

ooooh....it's a long time since we had this discussion.
    Terry Wogan was the first person to bring this dilemma to my attention as he had a long running discussion about it on his radio show.
    Mean people hang it against the wall as it's harder to pull "too many" sheets from it if it's that way round. REALLY mean people give it a wee squeeze so that it doesn't roll round properly and you only get a square or two at a time.
    I've been known to turn toilet rolls in other people's houses if they haven't hung it up properly!

9. Thanks Seren! I didn't know that Wogan had discussd this... I just remember reading an article about it. I'd never thought about the too-many-sheets thing! So... what's your idea of 'properly" In our out?!

10. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I once had a handy radiator, so I used to hang it "in" so that the first few sheets would be nicely warming up resting on the radiator, but then my mum told me that the "proper" way was hanging out - so as I haven't got such a conveniently placed radiator now, that's what I do. Nothing to do with introvert or extrovert in my case.

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I'm sure I grew up with the roll always hanging out. Having read Seren's post that makes sense. My Dad was always very careful with his money!
    I prefer that because that's what I am used to. My husband likes it the other way round. I let him win on this one. There are other things that I am more bothered about getting my own way on!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Mine is always hung outwards.

13. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Mine hangs outwards, but probably because I prefer it that way and for reasons I do not understand, I am the only person in the house who is able to locate and install a toilet roll when the previous one is empty. I am the only one who can dispose of the cardboard tube too.

14. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Mine is always hung outwards, over towards the toilet. I change them round at work too if they are the wrong way round but would never dream of doing it at anyone else's house. I don't say anything to family members if they hang it the wrong way. I just change it, I think most of them hang it the right way too!
    I have wondered why it matters so much, but haven't come up with an answer!! I wonder if it's a female thing as we use the paper more often than men.

15. Thanks everyone for the replies. I thought it might be a really stupid thread to start, but am really glad to see that people do have distinct preferences! I'm definitely an outside girl!

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I think it is so much neater with the loose sheet hanging against the wall rather than flapping around. I don't notice what any one else does but I much prefer it that way in my bathroom. I am an generally introvert but at my great age I have learnt to be extrovert when the occasion requires it

17. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Hang outwards too.
    Are any of you tempted to sort out the roll when the perforations don't match? Separating the sheet and rolling the outer layer over does the trick! [​IMG]

18. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

The toilet fairy does it at our house.

19. I think I have the paper nearer the wall - don't know why. I never gave it much thought till my son started to tell me off about it every time he came home. And he did tell me why it was wrong, but I can't remember what the reason was. Personality-wise, I think we are quite similar.

20. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

If you hang it with the open end against the wall, the puppy won't be able to unravel it and drag it around the house and garden quite so easily and you'll probably get slobber all over the wall.