1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Toenail removal

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by amica, Feb 23, 2012.

1. amica

amica New commenter

Hi everyone, I'm looking for experiences / advice on this. I have an appointment for removal of both my big toenails. Now I'm nervous about how long healing will take and how much pain there will be during healing. is it a good idea to have both done at once? Will I have any problems walking? It says to wear loose-fitting shoes for day of op due to dressing size, but how long will I have to wear bulky dressings afterwards which will prevent me wearing normal shoes. I am starting to teach an evening class 3 days after the removal - is this too optimistic? Oh, and now I'm feeling squeamish about changing the dressings! Also will my "naked" toes look strange afterwards? And does the exposed nail bed still feel sensitive after healing? Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I've had both removed (and another toenail as well) but I had the two big toes done on separate occasions. I don't think the pain would have been too had had I had both big toes done together, but it just would have been cumbersome.
    Not really, it's just a bit hard to bend where the toe joints are - be careful not to adopt a new walking style to compensate as that can cause problems elsewhere!
    I found that I needed bulky dressings for a few days just to provide a bit of protection. To be honest, I hobbled about in Birkenstocks (and thick socks!) for a few days.
    Not gonna lie, they do look and feel a bit strange afterwards. Do you know if they are going to treat the nailbed to prevent the nails from growing back? The first nail I had removed they just left it, so after a while my nail grew back. The next time I had one removed they put this acid stuff on the nailbed - unsolicited - and it's never grown back :( However, 5 years on I paint the skin in the summertime and nobody notices that I have bald toes until I choose to point it out.
    Good luck!

3. Had one of mine partially removed a couple of times. Basically the local anasthetic bit hurt like nowt else... but I was getting around pretty much immediately after it all... ok so it was my birthday when I had it done and I was out getting trollied that same evening - albeit with a comedy cartoon bandage on there. I cheated and got the school nurse to change the dressings though (worked at a boarding school at the time). Was the middle of summer so I wore a lot of sandals anyway.

4. amica

amica New commenter

Thank you very much for your replies, folks. I am wondering now whether to just get the worst one done first then see how it is before doing the second one. I guess I will have to go and buy some cheap sandals to wear during healing as I don't already have sandals. I don't really want to be turning up at work in open-toed shoes either! Hmm, more thinking to do over the weekend, but the op is next week so must make up my mind soon. I'm not really being a coward, it's more the practical difficulties, if any, like being able to walk easily and drive around as I have various ongoing work commitments.