1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

todorov five narrative stages

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by floyd1985, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Hiya
    I'm just planning a lesson which looks at how closely an episode from a TV crime drama follows Todorov's five narrative stages of Equilibrium, etc.
    I've got the idea from the AQA Teaching TV crime drama book (which has been my friend in all of this!!!)
    I'm basically wondering if anyone knows of a good example (full episode) to show my kiddywinks to help them understand the concept - is there anything on youtube which people have found useful?
    I'd be really grateful for any information on this especially since i don't know much about media and trying to get the kids through a gcse in it!!
    Thanks in advance :)

2. Hiya
    I'm just planning a lesson which looks at how closely an episode from a TV crime drama follows Todorov's five narrative stages of Equilibrium, etc.
    I've got the idea from the AQA Teaching TV crime drama book (which has been my friend in all of this!!!)
    I'm basically wondering if anyone knows of a good example (full episode) to show my kiddywinks to help them understand the concept - is there anything on youtube which people have found useful?
    I'd be really grateful for any information on this especially since i don't know much about media and trying to get the kids through a gcse in it!!
    Thanks in advance :)

3. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

Well technically speaking, most TV shows should conform to those stages.
    Youtube hasn't been great for me in terms of whole episodes. I would go with something off ITV player or 5 on Demand. We're watching CSI this week which is currently on Channel 5 online.
    Try and find something which starts off with equilibrium: some shows / films start off with the disruption; however we know that there was equilibrium before the crime took place.

4. thanks for that :) there's some csi dvds in school so i'll find one of them to use or i'll try your alternative
    great stuff :)

5. NCIS always starts off with equibrium... someone is doing something perfectly normal, happy etc and then comes the disruption (usually the finding of a body somewhere or an explosion) ... in most cases they solve the crime in 48 minutes... and everything returns back to that original state.

6. There's a slightly different way to look at Todorov in crime drama, of course, but that depends upon having an understanding of the difference between story and plot. As often as not in shows like CSI, the crime to be solved has occurred before the start of the episode. The investigators only become involved when they are notifed at the beginning of the episode, which is actually stage 3 of Todorov's cycle. Things can then be complicated even further if the investigators fail to bring the killer to justice, as sometime occurs. This leaves the story either unresolved or in a 'cliffhanger' - narrative dis-equilibrium. I used to find that students consider Todorov to be nothing more than a formula until they grasped the impact on audiences when the structure is broken or changed, which is both disorienting and engaging for an audience.
    Just a thought!