1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Toddler stay and play

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by I_Love_Books78, Jan 19, 2020.

1. I_Love_Books78

I_Love_Books78 New commenter

My school is very keen to start a weekly stay and play session for children aged 18 months to 3 years. It will take place in the gym and be run by a very experienced teacher. There will have to be a room risk assessment, a safeguarding policy, a mobile phone policy and a toileting risk assessment in place. Would there be one policy for the stay and play sessions? Have I missed anything out? Has anyone any advice please?

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Won't all these policies already exist in some form? You could just bring copies of them altogether and have them to hand at the sessions.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Are you the member of staff being asked to set up and run these sessions?
    https://community.tes.com/threads/setting-up-a-stay-and-play-music-session.797668/

You don't need a 'toileting risk assessment', just use the existing intimate care policy. The other policies should already exist and there will be a room risk assessment for all rooms in the school.

Presumably parents are staying with their child, so all you need to do is ask them to turn phones off or hand them in at reception, whatever you normally do for visitors. I'm certain none of our parents who come to our 0-4 stay and play group have ever thought to ask about policies and the like. The two members of staff have read all relevant policies and risk assessments as part and parcel of working in the school.

4. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

I agree with this but there may need to be some extra things added on bearing in mind the youngest children. They tend to put all sorts in their mouths that would not be a risk compared to Reception children. Do all sockets have safety covers? Also you will need to think carefully about the resources you use with such young children as equipment you would use with 4 and 5 year olds could pose a choking risk.

5. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

It's a stay and play so children will be accompanied at all times by their carers so I wouldn't necessarily worry about plug sockets. But I understand what littlejackhorner means in principal.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

These make sockets more dangerous than if you leave the socket empty.

Kartoshka likes this.
  7. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

Thanks for that information @caterpillartobutterfly . I no longer work in education so advice has obviously changed since I left ( it was a few years ago)

8. I_Love_Books78

I_Love_Books78 New commenter

Thank you for your help. Yes, I am the member of staff being asked to set up these sessions. I realise that I didn't mention that our Kindergarten children will also be involved initially to boost numbers. I know that their parents will need to be consulted and there will need to be safeguarding information on the booking form as well as parental consent for photographs. I am putting together a risk assessment because although there is a risk assessment for this room it is being used for a different purpose. We have looked at the resources to ensure they are suitable for under 3's.