1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Toddler diarrhoea

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Ange_mmm, Feb 15, 2012.

1. My LO is nearly 18 months and has a problem with reccuring diarrhoea. We are currently waiting for the results of a sample but I have been researching it and come across the term 'toddler diarrhoea'.
    I'm sorry if it's a bit gross but it's described as frequent soft, very smelly stools, often with visible bits of undigested food in it. This is exactly what my LO has and I wondered if anyone else had come across it and what you did to manage it? Apparently they grow out of it eventually and a low fibre, high fat diet is recommended. I have noticed that certain foods tend to make it a bit worse like raisins and weetabix. He has cows milk for his bed time drink but I have always been told to steer off milk if you have diarrhoea, do you think switching back to a follow on milk would be better, has anyone done this?
    He is having a particularly bad bout at the moment and has a very sore bottom, I feel so sorry for him and want to help as much as I can.

2. My LO is nearly 18 months and has a problem with reccuring diarrhoea. We are currently waiting for the results of a sample but I have been researching it and come across the term 'toddler diarrhoea'.
    I'm sorry if it's a bit gross but it's described as frequent soft, very smelly stools, often with visible bits of undigested food in it. This is exactly what my LO has and I wondered if anyone else had come across it and what you did to manage it? Apparently they grow out of it eventually and a low fibre, high fat diet is recommended. I have noticed that certain foods tend to make it a bit worse like raisins and weetabix. He has cows milk for his bed time drink but I have always been told to steer off milk if you have diarrhoea, do you think switching back to a follow on milk would be better, has anyone done this?
    He is having a particularly bad bout at the moment and has a very sore bottom, I feel so sorry for him and want to help as much as I can.

3. I'm going to be watching this thread with interest as my dd is currently having the same issue. I'm looking into diet to see if it is an intolerance of some sort.
    I wouldn't think changing to follow on milk would be any better than cows milk, as follow on is basically just cows milk that has been added to. Any issues that come with the cows milk would still be there with the follow on. This is thankfully not an issue for us as I'm still bf, but that means if we discover an intolerance I would have to change my diet too :(

4. We had this for months. It started in October when Sasha got norovirus and just went on and on - I thought it was still the virus but the doctor said it was unlikely to still be that and suggested the virus had caused a temporary lactose intolerance. We switched to lactose free milk for her porridge and night drink and it did clear up after a week so slowly reintroduced cows milk after that. Good luck - it's a pain, we chucked away SO many ruined clothes and as you say, it makes them so sore poor things..

5. Just a quick note - when we took our LO to the GP for this, she prescribed the lactose free milk (either SMA LF or Enfamil), so this saved a few quid in the process. We also found Bepanthen to be a useful cream at this time as it kind of creates a greasy barrier allowing the skin to recover naturally. 'Nappy off time' helps the healing too, if at all practical.

6. My daughter suffered a mild form of this, and I found the article below very useful
    http://www.nnuh.nhs.uk/Leaflet.asp?ID=1040&q=toddler
    We cut out peas and squash, and a few other bits and pieces. And gave her lots of yoghurt (especially natural yoghurt) after a bad spate of diarrhoea. We did notice that if she had juice of any sort (fruit juice or squash) she did have particularly 'loose' stools!
    My daughter is now out of nappies and toileting seems to be going fine. She did toilet train late - probably more about my anxieties than anything else. She occasionally does loose poos but these just go straight into the toilet - so no more mess for me :)
    Good Luck to anyone currently struggling with toddler diarrhoea.