1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Today's experience, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tubidium, May 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tubidium

tubidium New commenter

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same when working for a supply agency?

I am currently on long term supply in a school and have been since Feb. Last week I was contacted by my agency regarding a trial day at another school, with a view to long term from sept. Turn up at the school and it's a full days supply cover.

Did you still do the day?

2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Thats sounds perfectly OK to me, provided you were paid for it.

The school wants to see what potential supply teachers are like and one way to do so would be to offer them a day's work and watch them in action.

Some. less then reputable, schools try the "trial day" trick where they think they are doing a favour by expecting you to work for no pay under the excuse they are assessing you. Don't fall for that one.

3. tubidium

tubidium New commenter

It was no pay. I walked before the start after it became apparent. Feelings of guilt abide.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You have no reason to feel guilty, but next time before you agree to do a trial day confirm with the agency whether or not you are to be paid. Get the agency to put it in writing that you will be paid for the day.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

On the other hand you may well have just lost the opportunity for a long term post.

6. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

If it was a genuine opportunity it would have been a normal interview/30 min lesson/written task etc.
    I they want you to teach all day, they should pay the daily rate.
    Even when I have gone to direct schools I have emailed speculatively, for the first day as a daily ad-hoc supply when they don't even know me, they have always paid that first day.
    Well done for not letting hem get away with exploiting you.
    There are decent schools that will employ you.

pam771771, stupot101 and les25paul like this.
  7. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Narrow escape more like! Most of us have been caught by this old trick. You do a day's work at a school for nothing with the promise that you will be observed to test your suitability for the LTP. Strangely, nobody comes near your classroom all day, and backs are turned on you as you leave.

stupot101 likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Perhaps JR, you don't know that for sure.

9. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Unfortunately those niggling feelings of 'loyalty', 'professionalism' etc are very hard to ignore at times. Agencies and S.L.T. are aware of this, and will take advantage. I wouldn't feel guilty if I were you - it's all about the money, remember.
    It has taken me a very long time to realise this. Don't make the same mistakes as me :)

10. stupot101

I hate the American spellings. It is very annoying. Is there a way to change it to a UK spellchecker on TES?

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm glad I'm out of supply these days - it's a really harsh world out there.

stupot101 likes this.
  12. stupot101

I agree Peakster. We are at the bottom of the chain. We are simply a commodity. On another related thread, a Uk trained teacher returned from overseas employment. A school to which s/he applied informed them that they had been 'out of the loop'. A short while later s/he came to work at that school (unknowns to them) as a supply teacher. The school thought that the teacher was perfect for their school and kept them on. The teacher pointed out that 'it's a bit of a game really' - Yes, but it's a game involving peoples lives.
    ( I have only paraphrased the story here of course, but I'm sure you get the gist)

pepper5 likes this.
  13. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I think the agency were playing on this doubt to get a freebie.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I know what you mean stupot - it's impossible to know what being a supply teacher is really like until you do it. I'm sure most "regular" teachers would be shocked

15. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

C nts.

Agencies are utter utter tapeworms staffed with rats. Total scum. Ban them.

16. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

I've started to do a bit of supply to merely earn some cash. If they don't pay, I don't work. I have already veto'd two schools. Not paid nearly enough to be spoken to like s***e by 15 year old kids. No pay. No work. Simple. It really is just a way to earn money for me.