1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Today’s children are tomorrow’s skilled workers - UNICEF

Discussion in 'Education news' started by lawsonjames83, Feb 24, 2018.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Foot of the stairs moment!

2. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Very true for kids in countries where education is valued. But most of the UK's spoilt, lazy kids will want to get paid for doing as little useful work as possible: and preferably none.

Shedman and binaryhex like this.
  3. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

If the class I taught last year are to become “tomorrow’s skilled workers”, I’d say we’re stuffed...;)

That said, one of my ex-pupils who we once highlighted as in need of ‘booster sessions’ make sure they reached Level 4 in the SATs is now a GP in a local practice. It’s probably better to say SOME of the children we teach now will become tomorrow’s skilled workers...

Most of them don’t want to be “skilled workers” anyway. I can’t remember the last time a kid told me they wanted to be a lawyer or a doctor. Instead, they all want to be footballers or You-Tube stars, or simply just “famous”.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  4. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I ended up absolutely hating the UK's lazy, spolit, entitled, poorly behaved children found in the vast majority of state schools. Add to that an incompetent OFSTED, Exam Boards who don't know their Romeo from their Juliet and management teams who have lost the plot and you can see why UK teachers are either jacking it all in, going part time, retiring early or moving abroad.

You really notice how inept the UK system is when you work abroad in places like Singapore and Hong Kong, but go to any developing country and your love of teaching will flicker back from a tiny ember into a roaring flame again.

Jeez, teaching in the UK is a pile of sh7t.

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Spot on!