1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Today my mentor politely told me that

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Cosmic_Rainbow, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

the students arent really learning anything in my lessons [​IMG] eeek

2. Cosmic_Rainbow

the students arent really learning anything in my lessons [​IMG] eeek

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Did they say why? And did they say what they thought you needed to do?

4. And, if you take yourself out of the situation, do you agree?
    Are they not learning anything because you are "teaching" stuff they already know? Or is it that they aren't taking in anything? Two very different situations which would be addressed in two very different ways.

5. You need much more to go on. You need feedback that deatils what is happening and crucially WHY she feels the children are not l;earning. You need to be objective and work on her suggestions for improvement.
    The Sage

6. Cosmic_Rainbow

actually i have changed my mind..telling me its the kind of lessons she would have taught if she had a stinking cold and wanted them to get on with it and then making a sarky comment that groupwork may b out of my comfort zone but i should try it isnt actually telling my politely at all. as far as how to improve all she has said is atm my lessons are far too teacher led and i need to make them more student led

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Which probably translates as maybe you should have less teacher talk from the front and more pupil activity. Have a think through your recent lessons and see if perhaps there is an awful lot of teacher at the front talking. If so then your mentor might have a point, even if she is a little tactless about it.

Group work isn't every teacher's cup of tea at all and some teachers positively hate it. But when you are a student, you have to show that whole range of teaching and learning strategies. Just make sure that next time your mentor observes you have group work going on. You don't have to do it forever if it isn't your thing.

8. Actually that is a lot to go on. Teaching generally is becoming less that and more "pupils learning for themselves" so we do have to change the way we did lessons in the past. The suggestion of group work is a great one to get started-give the students a topic and different roles and get them to find out information and present it. You can then do this to get the pupils to critique each other whilst you formally assess their evaluations. Once this starts to be successful, you can then use other independent learning techniques. As for checking if they are learning, do this more than once in a lesson, say mid way and at the end or at the start (e.g what do they already know) and at the end using techniques such as traffic lights, post-it notes, mini whiteboards etc. Although more tact could have been used, sadly she may be right (in that this is what OFSTED want)