1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Today is International Left Handers Day!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Middlemarch, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As a southpaw (and proud of
    it), I shall be celebrating by clouting any right-hander I encounter
    with my left hand and shouting, 'There! Not so funny now, is it?'

http://www.lefthandersday.com/
    Such a pity we're not all in school, as we could have tied the hands of all right-handed children behind their backs as a bit of 'living history'.
    I invite all fellow keggy-handers to declare themselves on this thread and suggest their own ideas for celebrating today.

2. Middlemarch

As a southpaw (and proud of
    it), I shall be celebrating by clouting any right-hander I encounter
    with my left hand and shouting, 'There! Not so funny now, is it?'

http://www.lefthandersday.com/
    Such a pity we're not all in school, as we could have tied the hands of all right-handed children behind their backs as a bit of 'living history'.
    I invite all fellow keggy-handers to declare themselves on this thread and suggest their own ideas for celebrating today.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

What a sinister thread...

4. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I'm sure I read somewhere (could have been in Left-Hander Monthly) that we left-handers are statistically brighter, more gorgeous and less prone to rioting and looting than our right-handed peers.
    I also read that we experience a great deal more s*xual activity. However, I did a study on this issue by questioning myself and my partner (who is right-handed) and it turns out that left-handers and right-handers do very similar amounts of bonking.
    Anyway, to celebrate Left Handed Day, right-handers should be forced to write with their left hands today and end up stuttering hopelessly as a result.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Surely it's a worry that it's only a "very similar" amount...

6. Middlemarch

Yeah!

Didn't know you were a fellow sinistral, Cute, but I should have guessed.

7. cuteinpuce

It's a matter of definition. If one partner falls asleep part-way through, that only counts as a fractional bonk for them. (Similarly, if they switch the light on and start reading Heat magazine..)

8. Middlemarch

This is all very revealing, Cute.
    I wonder if there is any correlation between handedness and diversionary activities during bonking - do left-handers (for example), because they're believed to be more creative, eschew traditional 'gazing at the ceiling and wondering what colour to paint it' type activities and begin planning a novel?

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well I <u>should</u> have been left-handed, but in my day we were 'gently ! encouraged' to become right-handed.No such things as left-handed scissors etc, so it was just easier to do what everyone else did and struggle to use your right hand. (Still instinctively go to catch a ball with my left hand though! )
    Mind you, when I injured my hand, children were fascinated when I simply 'changed ' to writing with my left hand on the board, as I'm pretty much ambi-dextrous.

10. cuteinpuce

I guess it depends on the time of year, Mm.
    During term-time, it's obviously a chance to get on with the lesson-planning. But in the holidays, I think it's important to relax and enjoy yourself; so you could always do some knitting, or get out the Kindle, or phone an old friend who you haven't been in touch with for a while..

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm one!

12. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Do left-handers wear their watches and wedding rings on their right hands?

13. Middlemarch

Not this left-hander - watch on left wrist always and wedding ring obviously on left hand.

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I'd love to be ambidextrous.
    In fact, I'd give my right arm!

15. Middlemarch

Good ideas there - I suppose gardening enthusiasts need to be a bit more creative in their approaches to bonking in order to engage in their hobby.

16. cuteinpuce

Well if you have a dibber handy..

17. Middlemarch

But what if it's a right-handed dibber?
    Down with right-handed implements! End the centuries-old oppression of the sinistrally inclined!

18. cuteinpuce

.dohtem larutan erom eht ylraelc si hcihw ,tfel ot thgir morf etirw lla dluohs ew ,yaD dednaH tfeL nO

19. Middlemarch

yletulosbA.

20. bfudge69

bfudge69 New commenter

The majority of lefties wear their watches on their right wrist. I thought I was odd because I didn't.
    Out of interest Middlemarch do you do many things with your right hand? I write with my left but play table tennis, snooker and bowl with my right. I'm also right footed. [​IMG]