1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Today I tried.....vegan cheese

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bethannie, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

A vegan acquaintance heard of my enforced cheese-free diet.
    'Oh,' she said, 'you should try this...it's really good!'
    And she showed me a packet of something she called 'vegan cheese'
    She cut a small chunk for me to take home.....

It was AWFUL!
    It's not just that it isn't cheese....the stuff is inedible!
    Honestly - just yuk!

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

A vegan acquaintance heard of my enforced cheese-free diet.
    'Oh,' she said, 'you should try this...it's really good!'
    And she showed me a packet of something she called 'vegan cheese'
    She cut a small chunk for me to take home.....

It was AWFUL!
    It's not just that it isn't cheese....the stuff is inedible!
    Honestly - just yuk!

3. I am afraid I have to agree with you. Yucky stuff (apologies to all vegans, I know we have a couple on here!).

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

One of my friends tried to tell me that it was just as good as one from a local cheese shop. Needless to say it wasn't. And needless to say, I put her in her place!

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I just don't get 'veganism'
    I abhor animal cruelty but do not consider it cruel or wrong to eat the unfertilised eggs from my own hens......who live a natural, long and happy life.
    Vegan cheese just sounds so wrong I'm not surprised it tastes like shit!

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Some vegan foods are actually rather good - although veganism is not for me personally!
    I had hoped that the vegan cheese might be something I could use...I kind of miss a slice of cheese on toast with a small glass of beer!
    (I have found out that I can eat Philadelphia cheese - but it's not the same as the chewy, melted cheese used to love!)
    I should have had my suspicions when I saw the label...It says 'Vegan Cheeze' - apparently they are not allowed to call it 'cheese'....presumably because it would contravene Trades Description....it is not cheese! It didn't even taste cheesy!

7. The vegans I know do not eat ANY animal products because they are opposed to animal husbandry and the condition animals live in.
    I don't quite understand why they don't eat organic produce from happy chicks and cows.
    But that is the explanation they have given me so far, as well as "but the egg could become a chick and the calf needs the milk".
    It goes a bit above my head, I have to admit.

8. BelleDuJour

Not from my hens as I don't have a cockerel!

9. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Quite, that argument is ridiculous, an egg is a hen's period. ( sorry to put it like that, but it's true !)

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

A vegan relative of mine used this as the reason they wouldn't eat eggs...it shows that the egg has 'potential of life' - I disputed that - without a cockerel, there is no 'potential'...we had to agree to differ.
    The same relative wouldn't accept my (logical?) reasoning that if we let a cow naturally wean a calf then we could freely drink any milk left over without guilt.....yes, I was being unrealistic, farming doesn't work that way!
    And they wouldn't eat honey either....arguing that the honey industry exploits the bees. I haven't fully researched their arguments (Life's too short to argue with some people!) but they said that beekepers regularly kill the queen bee and relace her with another (I can't remember why they do this) and also honey is 'stolen' from the hives and then the beekeper has to feed the bees a syrup in autimn/winter as the honey that they would naturally eat is now on our toast.

11. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

There is a fascinating insight into bees and bee keepers here: http://www.ted.com/talks/dennis_vanengelsdorp_a_plea_for_bees.html
    You might ask your vegan friend what the likelihood would be of sustaining his/her diet without plant pollenation by bees. Beekeepers carry out an extremely useful function apart from farming honey, particularly when bee populations are under threat from parasites.

12. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

What bothers me is why on Earth vegans and the like try to replicate something that is not vegan/vegetarian or whatever. Meat subtitutes, cheese substitutes, even fish substitutes. I find it bizarre that, given their ethical reasons for not eating meat, they still like to pretend to eat meat. It's a psychologist's wet dream, really, isn't it?
    I like a non-meat based meal as much as the next person, a good beany stew or a vegetable curry, a meat-free pasta dish or pizza or what we're having tonight (leek fritters - they will contain eggs, milk and butter though!), and in fact tend to eat veggie at least 3 or 4 nights a week (for cost reasons, mainly and there are also, I suspect, certain health benefits), but we never have anything that pretends to be meat, because as well as being a very poor substitute for the real thing.

13. BelleDuJour

I agree. It's hypocritical in a vegan cheese kind of way!

14. Vegetarian cooking is different - the meat isn't the main event and vegetarians don't generally look for meat substitutes. But when you're in a hurry a veggie sausage or burger makes a quick meal and parents who are vegetarian or concerned about mad cows and so on can give them to their children.

15. henriette

henriette New commenter

I just <u>cannot</u> imagine "cheese" made without the benefit of milk !!

[​IMG]

16. Hi Beth
    Is it all cheese for you? I ask because I've tried sheep's milk parmesan, goat's cheese and buffalo mozzarella without any of the unfortunate side effects I get from cow's milk cheese.
    Steffi

17. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

So far, I can manage Philadelphia, Quark and Cottage Cheese.
    Goats Cheese is nnext on my list to try....I have been advised to try softer varieties first - and then, if my skin doesn't object, I can try a semi-solid goats cheese.
    I'd really love to find something I can melt on toast!

18. BelleDuJour

I think Waitrose do a sheep's milk cheddar. It is really yummy!
    *Belle now feels the need for cheese on toast after Bethannie's post*

19. What bothers me is why on Earth vegans and the like try to replicate something that is not vegan/vegetarian or whatever.
    Why does it bother you? Cheese tastes nice thats why its replicated.

Meat subtitutes, cheese substitutes, even fish substitutes.
    Great inventions you get the taste without the suffering.

20. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Properly reared and properly killed meat does not effect suffering. I am quite happy eating well sourced, happy animals and their produce. BTW what suffering does milking cause?
    You can't replicate cheese without milk. The very notion is absurd.