1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Today I am meeting my MiL for the first time.......after 2 and a half years!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Sep 6, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Odd eh?
    I'm intrigued to meet her.
    The thing is, in those 2 and a half years OH has only seen her about 5 times, and two of those were at a wedding and a funeral!
    It's all very odd to me as my family is very close. But herein lies the problem. OH's family are 'proper posh'. MiL is 'Her Ladyship' (I shall not curtsey! [​IMG]) and OH was brought up by nannies then sent to boarding school. As a result he was, and still is, very distant from his family. He has 2 sisters I've yet to meet, and he's only seen them twice since I've known him (at said wedding and funeral). His own two youngest children (11 and 9) have onlyever met their grandma a handful of times (yes, can be counted on the fingers ofboth hands, with 4 fingers to spare!).
    I find it all rather sad [​IMG]
    Today is going to be a very interesting day!

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

I hope you'll let us know how you get on ... interesting indeed!

3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Good luck! I hope it goes well.

4. BelleDuJour

I shall report back on my audience with Lady Pamela!
    I am baking a cake to take for her. Thought it might be nice (and gives me an excuse to eat some of it!)
    I'd better dress sensibly!

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Be yoursef! Maybe she is 'Her Ladyship' but you are your OH's wife. He chose you for what and who you are and if she is any sort of a Lady she will respect that.

Good idea! There are very few occassions that are not improved by large amounts of cake!

Have a great day!

6. BelleDuJour

My thoughts exactly Bethannie!!! [​IMG]

7. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

She wouldn't want one of mine!

8. bizent

bizent Lead commenter

Nor mine - last attempt at what I called a Victoria Sponge ended up looking more Victoria Station.
    Good luck Belle - you iz well possh innit

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Bet you 50p she is a cold fish.

10. BelleDuJour

I iz Biz......I iz!

11. impis

impis New commenter

Well? How did it go?

12. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

a real, actual LOL moment! oh dear *hug*

good luck belle. report awaited!

13. Its probably too late to tell you not to have a high-fibre cereal for breakfast...

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

15. Hope the day went well!!??

16. BelleDuJour

Yes! But I had yoghurt so all ok in the bowel dept!
    The visit went well. I wasn't sure what to call her and do no kow tow to 'Lady Pamela' or 'your Lasdyship' so I just said 'Hello. I am so pleased to meet you'.
    She made tea in a solid silver teapot with a silver hot water pot too, and served it in fine bone china cups (ratger lovely actually). My cake was very miuch appreciated.
    She has a lovely house and I noticed objects very similar to some in ours, like a pair of antique chairs painted pale green. We have a cream pair and a red(ish) pair. Also a marble lion statue. We have many lions (including a pair of 'bonking' lions - seriously! - in the garden. Those norty Victorians!) as lions were a favourite of OH's father.
    She was genuinely very pleased to meet me after all thsi time. It was nothing personal, just that the family is not close and rarely see each other.
    We stayed about an hour, chatted lots and it was fine. I feel much happier in myself now to have met her as it just seemd, well, odd not to have met MiL in 2 and a half years!

17. So glad it went well for you and such a shame it took so long to meet.

Perhaps you will meet again soon?

18. BelleDuJour

Yes, I am sure we will.
    I've suggested we take her out for lunch. OH seems to think this is a good idea and suggested Hotel Du Vin, which I think is an even better idea! [​IMG]

19. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

So I owe you 50p.
    A good result... for you.

20. Good move: even you can behave yourself for an hour! Glad it went well. I know it was important for you.xx