1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Toby Young ... why is it acceptable in our society

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by littlerussell, Feb 13, 2012.

1. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

To caricature and poke fun at people based on their social class and background?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyyoung/100135936/who-says-tories-cant-do-comedy/

Does anyone else find it unacceptable that a public figure, in charge of a school, sees fit to add this video to the blog of a national newspaper? Is stereotyping the most disadvantaged in our society any different from stereotyping based on race gender, disability, religion, sexuality? To me, the principle is the same ... taking a sizeable group of the population, who are disadvantaged, and applying a whole range of stereotypes to create a negative perception of that group?

There have been instances of sackings from British Airways and Tesco where people have made fun of the customers.

How can Young possibly retain his position in charge of the education of disadvantaged youngsters (there must be one or two in that school of his!) after posting that?

2. I imagine any LA Head who made such remarks would get a well deserved dressing down. There is a serious point you raise about the 'standards in public office' which apply to Free School sponsors/ Governors - I guess that different standards apply here.

3. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

I thought it was funny and smart. Why is it that left-leaning public sector bosses can snort with disgust at those 'Tory Toffs' but don their hair-shirts when the boot is on the other foot?
    We all know there are thousands of bone idle bastards out there who are scared of doing a day's work, so why get all upset about picking on them? They're not disadvantaged, they're feckless.

4. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

I watched this a while back and thought it was hilarious. I'm from Wolves, and loved the accent. Didn't occur to me it indicated class prejudice: for me it's about the plethora of old school friends who are remarkably like this character.

5. R13

R13 New commenter

if rather than leap to conclusions you take your time to listen to Toby Young and consider his views . . . . . you realise he is in fact a complete pratt and disregard everything he says, It helps