1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Toad patrol

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lamaddalena, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Silly toads decide to go back to the pond/area they came from. This time of the year they crawl out the hedges and slowly cross the road unlike frogs that can jump across and "wham", they are flattened .
    If you fancy helping on a mild evening this month helping them across busy roads contact your local wildlife group. You need a high vis jacket and register for insurance and a bucket !
    Only rescued 3 so far but 9 flattened on my patch. Oh and they like moving when its raining!
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/countryside/8034315/How-to-help-toads-survive-crossing-roads.html
    [​IMG]

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

More of a splut than a wham

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Poor little beauties!
    I have done a bit of toad shifting in my time. (That's not a euphemism for anything rude is it?)

4. Whilst out walking the dog on Friday night, I came across one lonely little toad sitting on the kerb of the pavement running through our housing estate.
    Goodness knows where he came from, or where he was going as there are no ponds for miles around.
    There was no sign of him next day, so I'm hoping he got to where he was headed.
    I like toads. [​IMG]

5. Hopefully it's too cold for them tonight. They like milder evenings when its damp.

6. Oh dear... coming from Queensland where the imported toad is a menace and a threat to the native wildlife this is a little odd... we aim to kill when driving and backyard toad golf or toad tennis is a favourite past time... we do however, also know how to kill them humanely, gathering them up and putting them in the freezer until they freeze to death after they've fallen asleep... the government pays money (back in the day) for the bodies... (yes, they are that much of a threat and a pest)...

7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

All amphibians, including toads, are protected by law in this country. You might be surprised by how quickly they will colonise a pond if you make one in your garden (as long as it is toad-friendly).

8. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

Ahhh! Not seen one in years! LIke them as well. Rescued lots of frogs though-cat used to bring in!

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

So do I. They are great. I vividly remember the first time I picked up a toad, as a child, and it did a pee in my hand.
    I also remember (please do shut me up soon!) swimming in a pond, whilst on holiday abroad, and the water was hoaching with them . . . . .it was great.

10. Welll, Jacob... tawfawke and I are not posting from 'your' country. We're posting from Australia, where the introduced cane toad is a massive problem

Cane toads were introduced into the country in 1935, to control the cane toad beetle... which they proved completely inadequate of doing

Where our native frogs produce 100 eggs once or maybe twice a year, the cane toads are producing 30.000 eggs a year

They have no natural predators, being an introduced species. They are spreading prolifically. They are a threat to native wildlife and to domestic cats and dogs

Now... you can take the moral high ground and say that you cannot be 'specist' and kill certain animals, but to let the cane toads continue to flourish without action, is to be equallly specist..... because in letting the cane toads flourish, you are choosing to let other animals die.

I currently have twenty, humanely kllled cane toads in my freezer, and hope to have many more

And before you start judging me...... I have rescued a wallaby hanging on a fence, a few injured seagulls, a baby kookaburra , a baby possum, and nursed a baby swallow for two days until it died...

11. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Bloody foreigners...

12. [​IMG]

13. Thanks Annie... I'm in the UK now, I was reflecting on what it was like back home in Qld... at least we honoured them (before sending them on their way) by giving them the role as mascot for the ultimate football team... the mighty Maroons... but then again, you are living in cockroach territory...
    I don't think I have seen a toad since I moved to the UK four years ago... and I live in a little village...

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I forgot about Cane Toads. Thank god we don't have them here.

15. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We are near some marshland, a pond and river so this time of year we get swarms of them. or whatever the collective is for toads. Only seen two so far one hiding under my dustbin, the other was squished on the road.
    I used to keep a big meat platter on the floor under a sideboard as I didnt have a cupboard big enough. I remember bending down to pick it up, only to come face to face with a toad hiding under the lip of the plate. It must have crawled in when the back door was open. I love picking up toads, but must admit this time I screamed as I only saw 2 eyes staring back at me initially.