1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

to Year 1 teachers

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by breadmaker, Nov 5, 2011.

1. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

I'm with Minnie on this one- I would always let them go when they need to, but when persistent offenders repeatedly leave the room during the carpet time, I usually make sure I say something like "yes you can, but hurry up becuase you'll miss the fun bit..." and then make sure that the children are laughing at something when the toilet child returns. Sounds a bit difficult to engineer I know, but have a try as it does work and gradually toilet runs will die down.
    As a parent, I have never been too impressed with any teacher who expected my child to have synchronised bladder control with the other 30 and feel that asking y1 children to go at playtime only is unrealistic as their minds will be focussing on their play rather than following a rule they don't understand.
    Good luck!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If they only sometimes forget then let them go! It cannot be a massive issue surely? If it is then there is a more serious problem about attitude to learning.