1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To write a story with a clearly structure main body

Discussion in 'Primary' started by blackpurse, Jun 8, 2011.

1. I did what you suggested, I went away and looked at where i was going with the writing a story for a younger audience task. It was made clear, through assessment that the children in my class were able to write a good introduction to a story and the more able were able to end their story in a satisfying way. However it was the main body (problem and resolution) which was poor.
    With this in mind, I am going to show the children in my class a DVD of Mr Benn (thank you for this suggestion). I will ask them to take notes throughout the DVD about the similarities and differences between each episode.
    This is to establish the structure, same main character, similar beginning and same ending.
    They (hopefully) will soon spot that the main body of the story is always different and depends upon what outfit the shop keeper suggests.

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">This is where I&rsquo;m struggling to achieve the objective. Where to go from here? </font> <font size="3" face="Times New Roman">How to get the children to write stories that have as well structure main body.</font>
    I was thinking of writing my own main body, show them this as a an example of good writing, get them to identify features. then go away and plan their own, using mine as a model.
    What do you think?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I think the idea of you modelling text is very good.
    Do you have the Sue Palmer skeleton book - The Short Story Book? If you had pages from that on display it might serve well as reminders for what to include in the central part of the story as well as the overall form.
    Let me know if you haven't got the Sue Palmer book, but would like to see it.

3. Please could you send me the short story book. I have an observation on Monday and this would be greatly appreciated