1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To write a cover letter or not to write a cover letter?...that is the question.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Henriettaaa, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Henriettaaa

Henriettaaa New commenter

I am currently trying to apply for a new job in a new city as I am hoping to move in time for September. I am mainly looking on Eteach as not many jobs seem to be coming up on the TES in the area I am looking in. Only two of the schools so far have specifically requested cover letters...others have not. Is the expectation to write one anyway? I am really unsure as there is still space in some of these applications to either write your own page of 'additional information' or the questions in the application form are so grilling that they have basically got a cover letter out of you anyway.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It depends on whether you are applying by an application form which usually includes a personal statement section.
    The personal statement/additional info and cover letter go over the same ground -effectively why you are a good candidate for the post through reflecting on appropriate qualifications/experience/skills. When you have a personal statement then the letter is shorter perhaps confirming practical arrangements of being available for interview and emphasising your interest I the school and the post.
    The majority of September posts will start to be advertised from just before Easter and the busy period is early summer term- check out other places for adverts such as school websites and Guardian/local papers as often schools cut back advertising costs.