1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To work as a private tutor...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Matthew187, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Matthew187

Matthew187 New commenter

I am currently working in an IB school in China on a fairly low salary. Previously I was doing 18 lessons a week, but after coming back from (chinese) new year it has been increased to 27. On top of this recess has been turned into extra 4 lesson 25 min lessons a week, as well as new expectations to watch 4 other teachers each week and do some of my own research. Around this time I have found out about a job being a private tutor for 2 boys earning the same salary as I am currently.
    My new job would only be 2 hours monday to thursday and 4 on a saturday and sunday, any advice?

2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Decide if you would derive enough satisfaction from working with 2 boys on this basis to sustain you. Apply, or don't.

3. Matthew187

Matthew187 New commenter

I guess I am worried about taking this job and then struggling to get back into full time teaching when it ends.

4. drvs

drvs Star commenter

If you want to be in full time teaching, why aren't you looking for jobs in other schools?

5. Matthew187

Matthew187 New commenter

I am looking for jobs in other schools. The opportunity to get a full time wage for a part time job is tempting.Would you prefer to keep the same salary and only work a few hours a day? The problem would come when the job finishes it may not be easy to find another job like this and I could end up in a situation where I can't get a job in an international school. So I am hoping to find out if anyone else has worked for a private individual and knows how easy these jobs are to find once you start. Although your questions are quite useful in the "is this what I want in my life."

6. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

I've tried private tutoring and there is usually a reason why the child is not attending/coping with main stream school. I recommend you attend the interview and get a chance to spend time with the boys before you decide.

7. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I can't offer much information about working as a tutor. I did want to remind you to consider/research how leaving your current employer would affect your visa situation (presuming that the tutoring job is also in China). Depending on the province, the authorities can be a little prickly about things if your school reports that you are no longer covered by the visa that they arranged for you.

8. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I am not sure about employment rights in China in general but I would be cautious, tempting as it might be. What if the parents of the kids you tutor suddenly decide the kids don't need it any more? If something sounds too good to be true, sadly it often is.

phlogiston likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I envy you working in China - fantastic place

10. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Grab! Surely better?

11. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Occasional commenter

The points above are very valid indeed, particularly those focused on work permits. In general, your presence in the country is legitimised by your school, who help with getting work permits, visas, etc. Upon resigning at the school I would assume that your visa would be voided, and you'd need another one to remain in the country. If the tutoring job is through an agency or company, they may be able to offer you some stability in terms of being able to stay there long-term and get more students, but they also take a hefty slice of the money.

I'd be very careful about getting in to tutoring without a concrete answer on work permits.

12. Matthew187

Matthew187 New commenter

Yes thanks, I think I have decided not to do. My reasons for not are due to the work permit, if I have kids no school place for them, and just the fear of the unknown! Thanks for the help everyone!

13. Matthew187

Matthew187 New commenter

If you want to work here why not go for it?
    They are desperate for teachers..

14. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think I may have seen the same advert, not that I have any intention of applying.

My first wonder was why the old tutor wants out? Or why the children aren't in boarding school? the family travel for 80% of the year and yet you'll need to keep up with clear learning/teaching and progression when in a lovely new place and the kids have no intention of sitting down and doing maths for an hour!

I'd not touch it with a barge pole.

15. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I cannot comment on the visa situation, other than to reinforce the advice to be careful before making any changes.

I would say that you need to look very carefully at the family before committing yourself to this.
    Why are the boys out of school?
    What direction do the family want the education to take?
    How committed are the family to resourcing the education?
    Do they want a narrow or broad education?
    Will they be tiger parents with neither children nor tutor ever meeting their expectations?
    What will your living accommodation be?
    Will they expect your hours to expand beyond those originally contracted?
    Do the boys want to learn? combined with do you think the boys will want to learn with you?
    16 hours a week with two kids is very intense, especially if there is reluctance to participate on the part of the kids.

16. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If there's a previous tutor, it might be worth asking if the parents will put you in touch with them. If the tutor is quitting for their own reasons (family, wanting to settle down, go back in to mainstream, whatever), then there would be no reason not to do that. If they are not willing to put you in touch, that might sound alarm bells.