1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To travel or not to travel

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sazad99, May 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sazad99

sazad99 New commenter

With covid 19 still with us at a time when international teachers look forward to a summer break, I was wondering how many teachers are planning to travel and how many are staying put.

My holiday this year is just shy of 3 months and it may be a long summer in the middle East as I'm currently not planning to travel.

I was wondering where other teachers are based and whether anyone is planning to travel, especially back to the UK.

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I’m staying put.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I have two holidays booked this summer. looks like one isn't going ahead, but I would happily travel.

4. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

For 2020 no way is leisure travel overseas going to be possible. I watched a video interview of a senior virologist in Korea today, he said 90% certain a second wave will hit Oct and Nov globally - killing off xmas travel. Much nastier and more deadly.

Issue is will it be possible to travel in 2021? 2022? I am expecting long term disruption.

DocShew likes this.
  5. Duraz

Duraz New commenter

I'm staying put. Not really any decision to make since borders are shut and there are only humanitarian flights out of the country.

The school are booking flights for staff at Christmas instead, but as nemo says, even that might not be possible.

6. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Reckless to consider travel for leisure at this time.

Guess what - I'm staying put. Airport and borders closed anyhow. Fortunately we have good weather and lockdown is easing. Time to find some real hobbies.

Been given a cash allowance this year and no requirement to prove it is spent on flights - so a bonus to help me 'discover' my hobbies.

DocShew likes this.
  7. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Even if the UK's 14 day mandatory quarantine kicks in, Aus already started theirs weeks ago; it will be good to get a complete recharge. Like us, many will travel back home.

In some schools, teachers have been given these choices,
    1) to go home early, like now, and do their online work "at home".
    2) go home, no online work. But they lose June pay.
    3) stay and continue.

Heads of schools are in regular meetings with the ministry. It's with confidence that even the locals are desparate to hunker down in their UK and other EU addresses for the summer. The borders will open for all residency holders come August. But all travelers (returnees) will have a 14 day mandatory period.

8. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

We will likely stay put. Our flights 'home' have been booked for months and months but I expect that we will just have to let those go. Starting to try and think of things we might like to do here, though it will be a long, hot summer.

9. internationalteacher4321

internationalteacher4321 New commenter

Like everyone would loveeeeeeee to travel but its really not looking likely. Based in Vietnam and they have very strict measures in place for entering and exiting the country including quarantine and stopping international flights indefinitely. Local flights have started to run now and I think we should be able to travel domestically in the summer. I guess we are lucky that we will be able to travel at all. Vietnam has handled this pandemic very well with extremely limited resources. The government acted fast and decisively and I think a spot of luck was also involved.

Personally I think Xmas is the next realistic time to be able to travel safely. However, this may and could possibly even change within the next few months.

Lots of uncertainty right now. Hold on to those jobs for now.

10. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

[QUOTE="StrangePanda, Our flights 'home' have been booked for months and months but I expect that we will just have to let those go. /QUOTE]

We were planning to be with family in the USA this month and next. We bought the air tickets just before the pandemic struck and neither the travel agent nor the airline has quibbled about a full refund. As it happens, the airline cancelled the flight but even if the cancellation had been our decision the refund would have been applicable.

11. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

We had two holidays booked for us. Both I have cancelled - not much choice. My wife and kids are stuck in Europe and I'm stuck in Kuwait.

I can't see us getting to reunite before the Autumn if we're very lucky (and I'm not entirely convinced even that will happen) and Kuwait has taken a month of School summer holidays anyway meaning we only get two months. Add the two weeks mandatory quarantine into the schedule and that means only six weeks for travelling even if I could leave.

So I'm staying put.

12. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Stuck outside China (ironically, in the country where I would have travelled to for the summer!) but, if we can get back, not planning to do any more travelling this year. We had tentatively arranged to meet family in Singapore in October but doubt that will happen, and pretty sure we'll not be going anywhere at Christmas either.

Incidentally, I'm just putting together some lessons on the Spanish Flu. The second spike there was the most deadly, in part because lockdowns were released too early and also because it was November. The spike in that lasted around 6 - 8 weeks before dribbling away to virtually nothing. The WHO warned today that COVID-19 might become endemic - just another virus we have to deal with - which is what happened to the Spanish flu, becoming the H1N1 flu virus.

13. PJ1984

PJ1984 New commenter

No, staying put. But I am being reunited with my wife and daughter after 4 months

14. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Staying put. Quite looking forward to it actually. I mean, it's sad that we won't get to see friends and family, but 2 weeks quarantine both ways just isn't worth it.

Plus, where we live is gorgeous.

15. vickyrae1970

vickyrae1970 New commenter

16. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

I am not planning any leisure travel this year but I do not have the option to stay in the country I'm in now as I had already resigned long before Corona. So I will hope I can travel to my new post or if not somewhere (anywhere) to work.

bobscat likes this.
  17. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Mrs. Hippopotamus very much wants to fly off with Aeroflot and stay with Mamulichka on her datcha, as she does every year. However, all is not happy in Putinland and the Russian government's attempts to slow down the spread of the Coronavirus have not been successful, so at the moment her trip looks as though it will not happen sometime soon. In September, we are planning to go to Samothraki, but we will not have to get on an aeroplane for that.

18. twisty08

twisty08 New commenter

Summer in the dacha sounds great! And in Crimea, too? Such a beautiful part of Russia. There's always next year!

19. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Quite a few Ukrainians don't consider it Russia o_O.

I went there a bunch of times before it was illegally occupied. Its a lovely part of the world.

20. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

I thought Crimea was in the Ukraine?

*runs*

yasf, Duraz, SPC2 and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.