1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To travel or not to travel...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by roseangel, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Jingmei

Jingmei New commenter

I taught TEFL overseas for many years and had my first child overseas. Was only to stay a year, came back married with a toddler and heavily pregnant. Really glad I did it. But my overseas experience was not valued by UK employers.

2. Yes fair point, performance related pay means it will depend on the school, not sure if that's better or worse Especially with a caution...thanks for all your advicex

3. seza-lou

seza-lou New commenter

I say go for it.

I did it a few years ago, resigned from my job (admittedly it was a horrible school) and went to teach at an international school in China, although the school didn't work out (lots of reasons and it now has some even bigger problems), I did end up meeting my Dutch partner there and I am now happily living in the Netherlands working at an international school, pretty much living the dream.

Don't know if this helps but I just wanted to give a positive prospective on what can happpen.

4. c84moose

c84moose New commenter

You should definitely go!

I was in a very similar position to you, no responsibilities, but working in a horrible school and considering leaving teaching.

I quit my job in 2011, spent 6 months of 2012 travelling around the world, and don't regret it for a second!

In the future, I think I would have regretted it if I hadn't taken the opportunity and gone.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

You really should go while you're free. Otherwise your travelling days will have to wait until any children have left home!

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

After all, you can always lurk on here if you want to Keep Abreast!

7. Montana_x

Montana_x New commenter

Heya Everybody!

I have been reading this thread with intrigue! I went through an awful time at my last school about a year ago now and I posted on this forum. I found the support I received wonderful and it really helped me in a tricky time. Anyway I received some money when I left and put it towards a holiday this summer. I'm off to America for 2 weeks- the Deep South to stay with family friends. However like the OP I really keen to travel- only North America, Canada particularly, however I currently have a car on PCP loan and a dog, although I do still live at home so he would be cared for! I have a job at the moment- it's my THIRD maternity contract and part time and although I like the school I see cracks appearing- perhaps because I'm part-time? But I just feel out of the loop and kind of the outsider always playing catch-up and because I offered to do supply on the other days I'm not contracted for, I just feel that that's all I am, some temp filling in for everyone else! I have done supply and it's nothing to be snubbed at but I just feel I'm sat in a car that keeps stalling- going nowhere and not a garage in sight to fix it!!

So....I was thinking of getting out of the UK- just for a year maybe working as an Au Pair in America (I do love it over there!) teaching over there isn't really a possibility as I need 3 years experience and don't have that, and to be honest I can't face working here any more, I'm not inspired like I was!

It's a bit of a ramble I apologise but figured this was a good thread to post on! If anyone has any advice or words of encouragement I would really appreciate it! :)

8. I have decided to leave - you should definately give it a shot! The British schools will still be here - forever improving;) When you return I am sure things will not change...except a new curriculum;/ Problem with the British school system is that they keep changing things every few years so nothing ever has enough time to work! I have decided to leave, I've just also had some issues with moving to my UPS2 and have called my union in...the drama I guess is never ending and the politics will never change! I have 10 years of teaching and mangerial experience and what's the worst that can happen when I return :0 I would have seen the world while my poor colleagues will be still resolving the same old...GO GO GO! I was more worried about my caution but it was a personal matter and has no reflection on my ability to teach or lead!

9. Did you find a job easily when you returned? That's more my concern I guess!

10. 576

576 Established commenter

I taught overseas for a few years,

Came back, and couldn't even get an interview for a job teaching my subject in my local area (and that's with a spotless criminal record).

I applied for a couple of overseas jobs and am off overseas again.

11. That's a worry. I would like to consider working abroad in a few years, after I've done NQT and a few years experience, but I wouldn't want to risk permanently being unable to work in the UK.

It's strange that after working abroad you can't get a job here, as all the schools I have taught at have a significant number of overseas trained teachers. So if being trained overseas isn't an issue, a teacher who trained in England but taught overseas shouldn't be an issue either

12. AST_25

AST_25 New commenter

Hi..

You should definitely GO. You will regret it later in life if you don't. You won't regret another year of work.

You only live once, so enjoy it. Have a brilliant time if you do.

Can I come...???!!!

13. gb4990

gb4990 New commenter

Hi there

Are there any updates with those that did leave the profession to go travelling? I am in the same predicament, excellent school, great kids but the travel bug is really weighing me down. I don't think the housing market is helping either as I am wavering between using my savings on a deposit for a shoebox in London or use part of it to fund my dream. Do I duck out and wait to buy in a year or so or just bite the bullet?! Some/any advice would be appreciated!

14. savechip1776

savechip1776 New commenter

Quit my teaching post several years ago to go travelling with friends for 3 months. Was fortunate enough to secure a September post at another school before I departed. Was one of the best things I've done - would have always regretted it if I didn't go for it!

15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I took a year out to travel. I was lucky, my head gave me a year's unpaid leave - but that was because the Leave of Absence policy said that up to 2 years' unpaid leave could be given for voluntary work, and I was doing voluntary work for 6 months of my travels.

Anyway, had a fantastic time. I saw so much, experienced so much, and wouldn't have missed it for the world (sorry, no pun intended!). And I was in my mid-50s when I did it. Go for it!