1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To travel or not to travel...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by roseangel, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Personally I think you should please yourself. As time goes by this becomes more and more difficult as other resposibilities take over. Yes, you like your school but there are other good schools out there. You have proved your worth so should get a good reference. Ask for a reference if you do resign. You don't have ties at the moment. Who knows how long this will last? Go while you can. Follow your dream. At least you will never regret it. But you may regret not doing it for the rest of your life. It will be a great experience, it will change you in some way. You will grow as a person and have more to offer. Do it. I wish I had but I was too scared. Good luck.

2. I totally agree with the above. As somebody of more mature years I would say grab every opportunity while and when you can. Life is very short, get the most out of it that you can. Every life experience you have gives you new skills and understanding that you can bring to your teaching, giving you more to offer your students and prospective employers.

3. z1k

z1k New commenter

Thanks, MissGollumeyes (interesting name! What's the story there?). Actually, I'm not that young! 34 next birthday..but came to teaching rather late in the day. Still, young enough I suppose. I think the real issue is that I've built up a loyalty towards my current school and leaving it will be a wrench. Plus, I'm a Taurus, so am the loyal type...(don't really believe in all that malarkey, but anyway...)

4. I am Taurus too so I completely know how you feel. I stayed at my first school far too long out of loyalty and because of liking the school so much. Once I did leave I found that there were plenty of other lovely schools out there. The children soon forgot me. I missed opportunities I should have taken up. You will be a more rounded person as you will experience new things. You WILL get a job of some sort when you get back I'm sure.

5. My friend asked for a year off and was given it and she was replaced for the year by someone on a 1 year contract. She's said it was the best thing that she could have done. There's no harm in asking!

6. Just wondered if getting a job abroad is a potential option? - that's my dream (but as Im not even training yet, it remains exactly that, a white fluffy dream).

7. z1k

z1k New commenter

Well, I need a break from working, at least for a while! I also have TEFL, so I reckon I could go to somewhere like SE Asia and find work there. But thanks to everyone for your input. I was scared about doing this too until very recently - this was supposed to be a summer holiday lasting 4 weeks! It sounds corny, but as soon as i realised that I was the only one putting myself off, things became much clearer. If you start thinking that you CAN do something, the easier it becomes to make it happen. I just wish I'd realised sooner! But better late than never. Follow your dreams!

8. Presumably the HT knows that it an unpaid career break you're asking and not one wiht pay!
    Four points:
    1) if you travel, what really will you be missing in the next 1 or 2 years in education in the Uk? Nothing, but a very grim time. The government will ensure that teaching is a bruising and depressing erxperience. Taking time out, may protect you from that and you may manage to retain your enthusiasm for the job.
    2) why not ask for a one year career break to help develop your community role, so some travel and direct experience of strengthening community networks etc.
    3) Talk up the positives for the school of you tkaing a career break. They get to employ somebody on a one year contract, so if they are not good they simply leave after the one year and the school gets you back -fired with enthusiasm.
    4) If you can handle tough inner city schools, then you are unlikely to have difficulty getting a job on your return.

9. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

If it was me, I would go travelling. You may just regret it if you don't.
    There are plenty of schools and while the job situation is currently tough, that doesn't mean you won't get a job on your return. Things may be completely different on the job front when you return. Plus think of how you will be able to use your experience travelling on your return to teaching.
    If you are young, you have many years of teaching in front of you. A year or so out is just a drop in a very large ocean in terms of your career.

10. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

I must have been reading 'The Hobbit' to the kids when I chose the user name. Oh and at 34 you are young. I am a taurus too, loyal to the core but loyalty not always appreciated. I learnt this the hard way. If I was you I would travel. I am sure you will have no problems getting back into the swing of things when you come back. Imagine all the travel stories you could tell the children. They loved hearing about my travels. One way to get them on your side and engaged. Good luck in what ever you decide.

11. z1k

z1k New commenter

Hi all,
    Well, I went to see the HT teacher and he was very unequivocal about saying no. Apparently he was concerned it would start a precedent and he clearly does not want other teachers making similar requests, although I know for a fact that other teachers have (in the past) been granted at least several terms off.
    So with a heavy heart, I had to hand in my resignation - not really what I wanted to do, but in the end there was no other choice. The HT kept going on about how he had to do the right thing by the children, and I explained that I had to do the right thing by myself. No hard feelngs - it was amicable, but it would have been nice to have been met at least some of the way.
    Thanks for all the positive messages! Now I can get on with making some serious plans!

Enjoy the break!

12. Hi,

I am in the same situation except i've been teaching for 10 years now and feel like I am ready to travel. My HT is the same but my problem is that last year I got a caution from the police over my ex fiance who was having an affair - I found out and confronted the girl - I didn't do anything to hurt her except a little shouting but she called the police and I was arrested - anyway long story but now I feel like I need to go and travel for a year. I've been teaching for 10 years now in various roles and schools but I am not sure if I will get another job when I return because I now have a caution:( I posted on another forum and the advice I was given was not to travel as schools will not want to employ me as I will be a threat to children. This has really made me think twice about handing in my job to go travelling. Any advice?

13. 576

576 Established commenter

If you do it you need to not just have the money to afford the trip but you also need money to last you at least a couple of months when you come back as you will almost certainly be returning without a job lined up.

If you do go travelling from August to January / February might be best so that you get back at the start of the recruitment season for the following September.

Sparkle your thread on another forum (I think) suggested your head would give you a sabbatical and I think that is the safest option for you.

14. Hi,

She said that I will have to resign then join up with a supply agency and come back that way:( Anyhow I am not even sure I want to go back to my current school, although I love it I think I need a change but I don't want to apply to other schools as I really have the need to travel. I wanted to go at April then return the following April. Life is so complex:( I am sure if I was a doctor this might not have been an issue! lol. I am more concerned about my caution. I have the money but the prospect of coming home without a job is daunting...thanks for all your advice. I may speak to my head again and perhaps previous heads - they may have jobs for me...

15. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I'm pretty sure that if you were a doctor you'd be in an equally difficult situation regarding your caution. And in any case, returning in April would be a pretty poor time for getting supply work anyway.

16. I think I will take the risk - otherwise I may end up regretting it forever - I made a mistake and surely most schools are looking for experienced and good teachers. I will speak to the supply agency first and see what they say - if they say it will be difficult for me to get work then I will have to decide what to do but for now...I am going to Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand in the summer. Thanks for your advice. Happy holidaysxx

17. 576

576 Established commenter

Most schools are looking for cheap teachers.

18. And this is a country who want to raise standards...sad really. Well I will take the risk, surely someone will offer me a job, experience must count for something surely! Lots of supply teacher I know have got permanent jobs through working in different schools.

Cheer guys

19. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Well, to be fair that won't be an issue when he returns and all the pay scales have been abolished. His experience won't directly tie any school to a specific salary and they can offer any rate they deem suitable.

20. inky

inky Lead commenter

zlk

Have a wonderful time on your travels.