1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

to tell or not to tell?! Urgent advice please!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by laineylou, May 18, 2011.

1. I have applied or a new job without telling my head teacher as they are very challenging and very unpleasent most of the time. I have been offered an interview. The new school have agreed tnot to seek reference unless they would like to appoint me.
    If i tell my head and then do not get the new job, its extremely likely that my life will be made hell. If I say nothing and dont get it, no harm done right?
    I feel awful at the thought of having to lie to get time out for the interview, its it really that bad to go through the interview without telling my current head?
    Help!!!

2. I have applied or a new job without telling my head teacher as they are very challenging and very unpleasent most of the time. I have been offered an interview. The new school have agreed tnot to seek reference unless they would like to appoint me.
    If i tell my head and then do not get the new job, its extremely likely that my life will be made hell. If I say nothing and dont get it, no harm done right?
    I feel awful at the thought of having to lie to get time out for the interview, its it really that bad to go through the interview without telling my current head?
    Help!!!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes. But understandable that you would want to.

But don't underestimate other HTs, they may well have not sought a reference as such, but telephoned for a quick chat or similar. It is unlikely that you will get all the way to attending the interview with your HT none the wiser.

You are definitely better off telling your HT. If they try to make your life hell then contact your union for support and help. And of course keep applying for other posts to get out of where you are!

4. It is very unprofessional to apply for other jobs without informing your HT. I'm assuming you haven't put your current HT as your reference as it is bad form to put them as one without asking their permission first.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But totally against safeguarding advice not to do so. Your current HT will be asked for a reference and you still may not get the post. You need to tell them asap.

6. The new head PA assured me that no contact would be made, but as you rightly say, theres nothing to stop a quick phone call.... do they really do this?

7. yes we do. And the advice given is good. I understand what your worries are but you need to tell HT

8. strawberryfields4eva

strawberryfields4eva New commenter

laineylou,

I think you have been given some very sound advice on here and I would certainly heed it. I am in a similar situation myself and had also requested that the head at the school where I am being interviewed do not approach my head. However after the head at the prospective school rang to chat about this very informally and supportively, I decided to tell my HT. I am glad that I did, as, like the other posters say, HTs talk to each other! Also, if it is already v unpleasant where you are, you need to do everything in your power to get out!!!

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Strawbz xx

9. Thanks everyone, I will be brave in the morning and do it first thing.

10. strawberryfields4eva

strawberryfields4eva New commenter

Good luck!!! It might actually go a lot better than you are thinking!

11. No Middlemarch i would NOT have done that...!

I have told the HT and all was ok, Not the response i was expecting but just shows you never really know what to expect sometimes!

12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Like Middlemarch, I'd still be interested to know how you would have explained your absence on the day.

13. In reality i'd never have let things go that far without saying so....common sense would always prevail!

14. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Apolologies. I must have misinterpreted the OP then. [​IMG]

15. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

You need to be upfront. HTs certainly talk to each other and about each other. It may be that your HT is delighted you are wanting to leave - your HT may feel you don't 'fit' with their vision of the school - and may be very supportive that you are looking for another school (I have known this situation - the HT gave the leaving teacher carte blanche to attend as many interviews as it took to get an alternative post, to everyone's satisfaction). If your HT really is that bad it is quite possible that other schools know about him/her. But going behind your HTs back will put other HTs off you. They will be worried that if you do it to your current HT what's to say you won't do it again, or perhaps challenge your new HT behind his/her back? Be wary that you don't damage your reputation.

16. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Sorry - did that post but missed the one where you said you'd now told your HT.

17. So you were going to consider going through the interview without telling your current head according to your op. How would you actually get the time off work to attend the interview without telling them?

18. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

That was my question, PFF.

19. It was a thought and a question born out of many months of upset at my current school. NOT a plan of action. As I have already stated, in reality, common sense dictates that I would never have done such a foolish thing. Hope this clears things up for you.

20. Glad you found a solution to this! I was in a similar situation - had arranged to go see a school during my lunch break and decided to tell the HT the morning before going. I wanted a job that was a step back from my current tlr and leadership responsibilities but still on a pt basis. To my surprise the head said that if I stayed I could relinquish my tlr if I wished and keep my pt hours. Ideal! I hope you get the job and things aren't made uncomfortable for you!
    As for the having time off for interview... I agree with what you've said - I often post in a stream of emotion and just want to vent and ask for advice and don't often read over my post to double check what I've said or how it comes across incase someone fancies picking over it!