1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To TEFL or not to TEFL?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by diamondskies, Dec 18, 2011.

1. You should do either the TESOL or CELTA as these are the only two which are officially recognised everywhere in the world. They both cost around £1000 and if doing the CELTA, International House are very good. Don't bother with anything which is a two-day course or the like as they are not worth the paper they're written on. CELTA is accredited by the University of Cambridge and it takes a month. I did it and still believe it was one of the best courses I have ever done both in terms of what it taught me about teaching English, but also for the experience and people I met. Good luck and Happy Christmas to you too!

2. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

I support what DiamondSkies said.

My one month CELTA course taught me far more about actual practical teaching than my PGCE ever did. I'm a science person, but just about everything I learned on CELTA can be applied across the curriculum. And just be assured, it is bloody hard work. You will have NO LIFE for 4 weeks including weekends.

Do CELTA or Trinity (TESOL) if you are going to do anything worthwhile.

It can be depressing though if you fetch up in a country and educational establishment where you may spend a few hours carefully preparing a 2 hour lesson, only to turn up and 5 minutes before the lesson be thrust a book by the head and told 'teach the speaking bits' when the book is different from the one you were led to believe they were following and you have no idea what they know or don't know and 'the speaking bits' on their own are completely disjointed because unbeknowns to you, the students are having 2 lessons a week from local, non-native English teachers because they're cheaper.

I guess it depends what your aims are, but if you do the proper courses as I say, you will be able to use whatever you have learnt in whatever you teach.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

No, I have never done a CELTA, so you could say that I do not know what I am talking about. Yes, I have had colleagues who have done one and they all say that it is best to do a "real" CELTA, not the online rubbish, and they also said that International House are a good outfit. A thousand quid and a month's very hard work.

4. I did an online TEFL course and it has not stopped me from getting any positions that i have gone for. Although i do think that this partly has to do with all of my practical EAL experience that i have with teaching children.

I worked at a summer school this past summer in the UK and it was interesting to note the difference in lessons and also behaviour management with the teachers that just had a CELTA and the teachers that had a teaching degree with just a TEFL certificate.

But i have heard that the CELTA is great,just to confuse you some more!