1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To TEFL or not to TEFL???

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Nickolai32, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hiya,
    I'm a 35 year old music teacher with just over half a term left of completing my NQT through maternity cover, and due to end in July. I've been desperate for a number of years now to go and see the world, and so have been applying to loads of international schools.
    However, presumably because of my small amount of experience (7 years as a peripatetic teacher doesn't seem to count for much?!), I'm not getting much interest. Most of these international schools are asking for at least 2 years experience.
    So now I'm thinking of doing a TEFL or a CELTA and hopefully finding some music work while I'm abroad.
    Does anyone have any advice they could give me as to which may be the best one to do?
    Or is there another type of course that may take into account the PGCE and teaching experience, and either cost less or be more useful when looking for work?
    Any advice would be massively appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Nick.

2. Hiya,
    I'm a 35 year old music teacher with just over half a term left of completing my NQT through maternity cover, and due to end in July. I've been desperate for a number of years now to go and see the world, and so have been applying to loads of international schools.
    However, presumably because of my small amount of experience (7 years as a peripatetic teacher doesn't seem to count for much?!), I'm not getting much interest. Most of these international schools are asking for at least 2 years experience.
    So now I'm thinking of doing a TEFL or a CELTA and hopefully finding some music work while I'm abroad.
    Does anyone have any advice they could give me as to which may be the best one to do?
    Or is there another type of course that may take into account the PGCE and teaching experience, and either cost less or be more useful when looking for work?
    Any advice would be massively appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Nick.

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

CELTA and Trinity TESOL are the only 'real' EFL courses in the UK. They are on a level lower than the PGCE (on the European Framework) and will therefore not take into account this qualification. There are loads of threads on here about TEFL so have a search and eat your heart out. This question has been asked many times.

Best of luck and hope this helps.

4. A sound knowledge of CLIL might make your letter of application look more attractive for those schools that have a high intake of local pupils; specially primary in Europe.
    Read up on BICS and CALS and Jim Cummins et al.
    Good Luck.