1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

To teach Art and Design Yr 7 or not...?

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by shasha1964, May 20, 2011.

1. First of all, can I say that I absolutely respect the qualifications, training, and experience that all teachers have undertaken to teach their chosen subject. Generally I feel a bit peeved when people feel that that can teach something just because they have an interest, that said...I am currently working abroad in an newish international school that is about to start its first year of secondary. Secondary school will consist of 1 year 7 class with 10-15 students. Teachers have been recruited for all subjects except art and design. Financially and logistically it makes sense to use a teacher that is currently employed by the school, and that could be me. I am a qualified teacher with a great deal of experience facilitating the development of art and design in the early years, but I have not taught secondary art/design. I am passionate about art and art and design form a big part of my life, however, I am also a mum who struggles sometimes with not having enough hours in the day. If I choose to accept, I would be teaching this class and a foundation 2 class.

Could you, dear Art teacher, please help me make my decision on whether to teach this subject by helping me with the following questions:

***** I believe the art/design class will be scheduled for 1 hour each week. Does this sound right?

***** For each hour lesson, roughly, how long would you spend on preparation?

***** I am aware of the http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stages-3-and-4/subjects/key-stage-3/art-and-design/assessing-art-and-design/exemplification/index.aspx website. What other sites would I find invaluable?

***** Art assessment seems to be so subjective. How do you manage this?

****** What other questions would you be asking yourself if you were in my shoes.

Thank you in advance for any answers help you can offer :)

2. First of all, can I say that I absolutely respect the qualifications, training, and experience that all teachers have undertaken to teach their chosen subject. Generally I feel a bit peeved when people feel that that can teach something just because they have an interest, that said...I am currently working abroad in an newish international school that is about to start its first year of secondary. Secondary school will consist of 1 year 7 class with 10-15 students. Teachers have been recruited for all subjects except art and design. Financially and logistically it makes sense to use a teacher that is currently employed by the school, and that could be me. I am a qualified teacher with a great deal of experience facilitating the development of art and design in the early years, but I have not taught secondary art/design. I am passionate about art and art and design form a big part of my life, however, I am also a mum who struggles sometimes with not having enough hours in the day. If I choose to accept, I would be teaching this class and a foundation 2 class.

Could you, dear Art teacher, please help me make my decision on whether to teach this subject by helping me with the following questions:

***** I believe the art/design class will be scheduled for 1 hour each week. Does this sound right?

***** For each hour lesson, roughly, how long would you spend on preparation?

***** I am aware of the http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stages-3-and-4/subjects/key-stage-3/art-and-design/assessing-art-and-design/exemplification/index.aspx website. What other sites would I find invaluable?

***** Art assessment seems to be so subjective. How do you manage this?

****** What other questions would you be asking yourself if you were in my shoes.

Thank you in advance for any answers help you can offer :)