1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To teach abroad or not?!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by judithwoods, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I thought I'd ask some seasoned UK teachers abroad for their advice. I am considering going and teaching abroad (destination undecided!) but this is obviously a big move. I'm 26, and a secondary music teacher, year 2 of teaching (single, no kids).

Can you give me some reasons why you think teaching abroad is a winner?

What do you need to be weary of when you go and look for contracts (- in fact, where, other than on here can you find jobs?!)

How hard is it to come back and get a job within the UK education system?

Any words of advice / experience appreciated. I'm sitting on the fence with this one. Would love to try it for a year, but I'm worried about getting a job back here...

Thanks all, happy traveling!!

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Why are you looking at the move?Are you out of work at present? If you are then its certainly worth a shot. Jobs in Aus are on the main job websites (seek / jobs.com.au) and public vacancies are listed by the state department (ie teach NSW. In Aus you need to be approved by the teaching board and that differs from state to state
    I've only been out here a couple of months (and I followed my OH) so don't have work lined up already, but there seems to be jobs going (which is more than there was for me in the UK) the lifestyle seems to be much more laid back already and my OH half has found that his workplace certainly is. Feel free to PM if you want to (I'm 27 and also no kids). x

3. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

In a nutshell, based on my 7 year experiences:
    Positives: eye-opener to life and great travel opportunities, superior lifestyle (if it suits you), less stress, possibly more disposable income (accommodation paid for and maybe no tax), possibly less paperwork, less clasroom interference, easy to find a partner (if a man).
    Negatives: possibly ***** management/owners, parental interference, dodgy accommodation, loneliness and boredom (if you aren't suited to the social side), less stability (to give up a full time job for a contracted one is a big risk), possibly a lack of resources and lack of CPD.
    Depends so much on what country and what school (as every experience is different - one guy last year slated my school daily yet I loved it) but i'd advise you to get more experience before considering, as the support is less and you are expected to be fully independent. It is harder to get work once back in the UK as your curriculum knowledge is not current and overseas experience is often considered inferior.

4. hockeysticks

hockeysticks New commenter

I am applying for overseas jobs at present, and like the sound of it - less worried about the negs as I have 10 years experience - and have been a parent myself so find empathy works wonders. However I would like to know more about the social scene any details would be helpful. Also do you think that having worked mainly in a bog standard comp this would be held against me? Should i put much detail about why I want to work abroad or will they ask that at interview?

5. Have?
    Where? Saudi, Prague, Chile, Cairo....?
    A plus at our place, maybe, but your perception of what 'overseas' has to offer is a bit limited. A hundred different countries will offer you a hundred different answers to your questions!

6. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

To teach abroad or not?
    As with many things in life, I often think that if you have to ask the question, the answer is probably 'no'.
    But for what it's worth I love being abroad and the only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner.

7. Hi!
    Do it!!!!! you only ever regret the things you havent tried, and if you hate it you can always go back.
    I would recommend Dubai, if you want more money, good quality of life, lots of british people around you and a fantastic social scene. There are loads of single, no kids people out here so plenty of people to make friends with. I found my contract with a company called teachanywhere.com, but you can also look on tes in the international section or search associates job fairs. If you are thinking of moving back to the U.k try and get into a british curriculum school to make the transition easier.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

8. God knows where you got this little ditty from, but I can assure you it is not true.
    I could write a list of things I haven't tried and I don't regret not doing any of them; however, there are some faint-hearted souls on these boards so I will resist.