1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

to teach abroad or not to teach abroad??!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by justme1982, Jan 10, 2010.

1. 'M'! Spain, olive grove, author, live of bloody Riley, you nasty man, you...................wait for it.......
    'Get a life'!
    How's the 6 pack?

2. Sorry, 'six' .

3. Thankyou to you all for the helpful advice. It's really interesting hearing case studies for people who have been abroad, or who are abroad at the moment.
    [​IMG]

4. typo...*from* [​IMG]

5. I ilke your style, 'justme'. I have never been called a 'case study' before. I'm sure others haven't either!
    I always thought that the chaps in white coats would get me one day..is this the start?

6. haha!...[​IMG]

7. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Message from justme1982

Mainwaring,
    I was appauled by your reponses to my thread. It was nasty, and I have reported you to the TES team. It's best not to reply to threads if you haven't got anything useful to say.
    Regards

Reply from Mainwaring(1066)
    It's 'appalled'.
    I'm truly sorry (for you) that you so obviously think correct grammar and spelling are not 'useful' in writing a successful letter of application. Do let us know when you secure the dream job.
    I'll look forward with interest to the telling-off from Nanny. Has it occurred to you that you may be just a little too fragile for the pressures of life away from Mum?
    Regards,
    The Big Bad Nasty Man

8. Sorry, 'justme' but that is a bit OTT.
    I feel that there are two main issues. 'M' probably gives as sound advice as can be seen on these threads, but also posts stuff swathed in sarcasm and humour.
    Everyone does it.
    As for the spelling, a lot of 'correcting' goes on and I made the point some time back that people don't spell wrongly or use incorrect grammar deliberately. In other words people are practising poor practice.
    I have read through a fair few job apps and the number of mistakes on them is, indeed, appalling. They don't get the jobs and I guarantee if those same people posted on here (wondering why they don't have a job), their offerings would be riddled with poor grammar and spelling.
    These threads would be dreadfully boring if people just just dealt in the serious business of getting jobs.
    As I said 'justme' I think you have taken the postings a little too seriously.
    Happy New Year Everyone.
    Can we start calling Clovis a lunatic again now?

9. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Clovis is a lunatic

10. Mainwaring

I'd better not. Nanny may be listening. Oddly enough, there's currently a discussion on Opinion (as part of the 'knife' thread) about whether or not HJ Hollenweger is indeed an avatar of Him Who Must Not Be Named.

11. FOney pharoh...i did find your advice helpful and i don't care if you think it is OTT or not to confront someone on their inappropiate responses to a harmless thread i posted. Fine....use sarcasm or any other type of wit but i personally didn't find it helpful. Also please remember i came on here for advice, not for someone to pick up on my spelling or grammar.

12. Blimey, 'justme'. Will you ever learn?
    Capitals on 'FO' to point out the irony of me pointing out others' errors, when you clearly know that to be deliberate.
    And then you spell 'pharaoh' incorrectly!
    What are we to do with you?

13. Mainwaring

I know what you mean Pharaoh. For some strange technical reason, which escapes me, my first post on this thread has disappeared. So here it is again:
    This is another of those threads (and I'm not just talking about the OP) that makes the average literate poster want to run amok with a cleaver.
    ‘I am currently teaching lower school English.' As Tommy Beecham once replied to the statement ‘Ahm da Prezzydent uv da English Speakin' Oonion', I don't believe it.
    I would ‘reccomend' the following:
    Use a dictionary, or if that's too hard, take notice of those funny, squiggly, red and green lines that Mr Gates takes the trouble to draw under most of what you write. Could he be hinting at something? This will help you to straighten out the mangled grammar and to spell such common words as ‘recommend', ‘clearly', ‘considering', ‘accommodation', ‘qualified', ‘internationally' and ‘regular'. Note that London is the capital of England (and, coincidentally, they both take capitals, as does the pronoun I). Text-speak is normally acceptable on an internet forum, but most posters avoid it on this one for reasons which may or may not seem obvious.
    All this effort may pay off handsomely when you write your letter of application in this highly competitive international market. Don't waste your breath or your finger protesting that we all make typos (Yes we do, including me) and that when you DO write a letter your style is as limpid and error-free as a Guardian editorial. Nobody believes it, not even you.
    In retrospect, I'm not at all convinced of the last sentence. It seems that there ARE people who are dumb enough A) not to know that their default style is pidgin English and B) to think that it doesn't matter. You just can't help some people.

14. A harmless post indeed, old man. Considering that a madman has actually threatened us both with death (and we didn't dob him in did we?) on these very threads!
    Oh, you missed out 'definitely', by the way. Do you know I still have disagreements (boy, do I grin) about that one...?
    Don't you mean 'pigeon'.....?
    I've ruined your fun, haven't I?

15. Mainwaring

Old? Indeed I am old. I remember when teachers passed real A Levels and could spell CAT.
    They didn't venture as far as 'definately'. (Now just watch some eejit rush in to say I've got it wrong).
    No, 'pidgin' is the correct spelling. Have a look at Baugh's History of the English Language. I did (among many others) when doing my BA Linguistics course.
    Teach not thy parent's mother to extract
    The embryo juices of the bird by suction.
    The good old lady can enact
    That feat regardless of the kind instruction.
    No.

16. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Tush, tush! It is "embrionic", surely?
    On the subject passing ammunition, do not forget your Belloc:
    I shoot the hippopotamus
    With bullets made of platinum,
    For if I used lead ones
    His hide would be sure to flatten'em.

17. Mainwaring

It's not, because it wouldn't scan. Though I find that I mangled the metre in the second couplet.
    I don't, though your quoting that particular one seems to be inviting trouble. My son, who fell in love with Sussex seven years ago when he moved there having spent most of his life being dragged around the globe by his irresponsible parents, is fond of this one:
    '...That of all the shires she is the queen
    And they brew at the Chequers on Chanctonbury Green
    The very best beer that ever was seen.'

18. Having been directed to this thread by some posts on the Opinion forum may I thank everyone for the laughs, both intentional and otherwise.

19. Mainwaring

For anybody who doesn't understand Santey's reference: WJ Hollenweger (aka Clovis) has stated on Opinion that justme1982 and Stoddy1878 have BOTH emailed him (personally) to inform him that Big Bad Mainwaring has been nasty to them.

20. Excellent! The sage of W'ton-on Sea and the sage of Rampton (not staff).....
    Come on 'Strait-jacket' (proper noun), get back on these threads.....
    'Sup up your beer and collect your fags, there's a row going on down near Slough'...
    Etons vs JCBs.....