1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To take a job share or not?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by pink_hippoes, Feb 16, 2017.

1. pink_hippoes

pink_hippoes New commenter

I'm currently on month 8 of my maternity leave and due back in June. School have offered me a job share which I think will be 2.5 days a week. I have since applied for another job as an education coordinator for a local charity and just waiting to hear back. Its a pay cut but less hours and Im imagining less stress and better work life balance.
    Am I mad? Should I just suck it up and go back to teaching? I just cant imagine on 2.5 days my workload actually being any better than it was before and my priorities have now massively shifted! I want to spend my days not at work with my daughter but are part time teaching jobs becoming scarce?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Plenty of people take a career break altogether, so doing a less stressful job whle your daughter is small seems a reasonable alternative that shouldn't jeopardise anything in the longer term.
    Remember that if you don't want to go back in June, you'll need to get your resignation in by the end of February: hopefully you've made the charity aware of that.

3. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Watch out with your maternity pay. You will need to pay back or work the equivalent of 13 weeks of your original contract to keep the pay you received while off. That's my understanding. But check it out.