1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

To sue or not to sue (Accident at work)

Discussion in 'Independent' started by ellis1976, Feb 10, 2011.

  1. <font size="2">I recently had an accident at work in the workshop (I'm a DT teacher), where an item was left in a walkway. I slipped on the item and have either badly bruised my wrist or fractured a bone (my lover arm now has a cast on it for two weeks until I have further x-rays. My union has informed me that I have a case to sue the school. My concerns are - Do I sue the school? Or not?</font> <font size="2"> If I do could this cause me problems whilst still working there?</font>
    <font size="2">Anyone with advice who has had the same or similar issues or who has already sued a school that they still work at.</font>
  2. Sorry. it should say my LOWER arm not my LOVER arm.
  3. Karvol

    Karvol Occasional commenter

    My father's company had accident insurance and if an employee was injured in the line of work he expected them to put in a claim. His view was that the insurance is there as a benefit to the employees, so if they are injured then they should use it.
    I would take exactly the same view with the school based injury.
  4. Thank you. One of m concerns is that it would affect promotions or even references for future jobs.
  5. tartetatin

    tartetatin New commenter

    Hi ellis and sorry to hear about your injury.
    I am absolutely no expert at this kind of thing so can only answer from a personal point of view, but I would in no way feel comfortable continuing at a workplace I had sued. I'm not sure it would lead to great personal or professional relations within the school. Certainly I have never heard of it being done before.
    I'm sure plenty of others will disagree but therein lies the beauty of TES!
    Hope you make a speedy recovery.
  6. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Why not go and talk to the Bursar?
    Say that your union has advised you that you have a case to sue the school, but you don't want to cause them any problems. Ask if they are covereed by insurance for this, and what he advises you to do.
    Should be interesting . . .
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    The TES Careers Advice service runs seminars and workshops, one-to-one careers and applications advice, one-to-one interview coaching and an application review service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    The next Workshops I'm doing that still have vacancies are on Sunday 13th and Friday 25th February. There is also a specialist Workshop for applications to SLT on Saturday February 19th.
    Go to https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6060678 for more details of these and other seminars.
    Look forward to seeing you!
  7. florian gassmann

    florian gassmann Star commenter

    No need at all to sue. Independent schools, like all private companies, are required by the Employers&rsquo; Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969 to take out insurance against accidents suffered by their employees, so it's simply a matter of going to the bursar (as Theo suggests) to ask how to claim.
    The OP should hopefully have ensured that the accident was logged in the school's accident book and, if it turns out that a bone was broken, he might need to remind the school of their obligation to report accidents of that nature to the Health and Safety Executive.

Share This Page