1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

♫ To stop the train in cases of emergency ♫

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jamvic, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Remember the song? :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4zgBMdtXvkc

It appears many people not only remember it but put its advice into action much more often than they should causing increased delays to services.

Wonder how many of them had to pay the penalty. Don’t think it’s £5 anymore though. :D

6471439C-012C-43B6-9C66-7005D1D987FB.png B5D36295-6EAC-4395-91AF-C4C1A4F2F9D1.png

Many trains are fitted with communication systems for passengers to contact the driver, but some emergency alarms automatically apply the brakes.

Anthony Smith, from passenger watchdog Transport Focus, said punctuality was the biggest issue for rail customers and the increase in emergency alarms was "concerning".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-51189119

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

The increase has also come alongside rising numbers of rail journeys. Official figures show there were 1.8 billion passenger journeys in Great Britain in the year to March 2019, double the number recorded 20 years ago.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Wonder if capacity has doubled...

[think I know the answer already]

TheoGriff and Jamvic like this.
  4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Increased capacity isn't easy. More frequent trains mean new signalling so big infrastructure work. Longer trains require longer platforms so more infrastructure work and passenger complaints while the work is done. Increasing InterCity capacity means HS2 and that's a minefield too!

Jamvic likes this.
  5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

The outdated infrastructure is going to have to be addressed at some point though. The system can’t carry on as it is with such increased demand for services.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You're right in that it isn't easy... and the focus has been on upgrading rolling stock over increasing capacity, mainly because that's easy.

BUT...

We've had 20-30 years of increasing passenger numbers, people being encouraged to use trains... and commensurate action in capacity improvement hasn't happened.

I support HS2, not because I like the ever escalating costs... but because we need high speed rail and it's going to happen one way or the other... better to do it now rather than in a decade when it'll be even more costly and difficult. Then again, should have been done in the 90s when HS1 was done.

Jamvic likes this.
  7. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Longer trains don't necessarily require longer platforms. There are often announcements such as "Passengers for ---- should travel in the front five carriages."

A few years ago there was huge disruption for some months at Waterloo as the platforms were lengthened to allow longer trains. Since then I've several times traveled on very overcrowded trains to or from Waterloo with only four carriages.

Jamvic likes this.
  8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Then you have southern railways who have brand new carriages sitting in aareawaiting to be used, but can't as they are designed to be used without guards, which they can't do because the RMT is using industrial action to keep guards. They alone should increase ca[acity but cant be deployed,

9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

All platforms have been/are being lengthened. Most trains now run with 10 or 12 cars rather than 8 or 10
    (The front 5 used to be the front 4)

Jamvic likes this.
  10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Double decker trains like on the continent? Are their cariages any higher?

Jamvic likes this.
  11. LondonCanary

They have lower platforms and e en then it is a step down I to double deckers. They have been tried here but generally bridges are too low.

lanokia and Jamvic like this.
  12. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Doesn’t look like that’s going to be resolved anytime soon. Also, if the drivers’ union encouraged its members to also strike in opposition to the proposed bill for minimum services during strikes it would be chaotic.

...the union believed the failure to get a deal with SWR had become political, pointing to the government’s recent proposal, included in the Queen’s Speech, to bring in new laws that will ensure there are minimum requirements on transport services during a strike. What exactly defines minimum services will be decided as part of the bill.

“There was a deal on the table [from SWR] and then it was pulled. Then we had this announcement by the government. We think Boris Johnson wants his Thatcherite miners’ strike moment,” said Mr Hedley, referring to the prime minister.

He called on Aslef, the union representing the majority of train drivers, to join forces with RMT over the government’s proposal. He said there was a planned meeting in January between the two unions’ general secretaries to discuss their response.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/af58918e-2b02-11ea-bc77-65e4aa615551

13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

gainly and Jamvic like this.
  14. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

That's interesting. I wonder how they know for stations which don't have barriers or where the barriers are frequently left open.

Jamvic likes this.
  15. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Is the rise in emergency stops down to a lack of train staff?
    My daughter has had unwanted attention on trains more often than I like. She or railway staff handled them ok, but once she had to get off a train and catch the next one.

Jamvic likes this.
  16. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Well.... There are no guards on the Tube and have been no guards on many other lines for many years.

17. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I was thinking this. I have to admit that I think there should be a guard on a train to deal with the unexpected.

@phlogiston gives a single example of a bad situation where someone needed assistance but had to get off the train instead. It should have been the person exhibiting antisocial behaviour being made to interrupt their journey not an harassed young woman.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Always wondered why we didn't use them... cheers...

Jamvic likes this.
  19. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

They tried?! I'm now imagining trains wedged under bridges indefinitely ... it's not as if you could just let some air out of the tyres!
    As for the OP, I guess that's why trains now have posters on saying "If you are feeling unwell, do not stop the train, get off at the next station" (or words to the effect). I guess some snowflakey types have been using the emergency stop when they have the sniffles.

20. LondonCanary

[​IMG]

Jamvic likes this.