1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To stop the recruitment crises Teacher Training should be a minimum 2:1

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Skeptical_John, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Skeptical_John

Skeptical_John New commenter

At least that appears to be logic put forward by this economics graduate

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...uld-be-minimum-qualification-teacher-training

Now, you can argue teaching should require a 2:1, because without achieving that you're not intelligent enough to be a teacher. However by my (very limited) economics understanding this goes against everything in supply and demand?

It would of been helpful if the author supplied any other profession where an increase in standards alone has led to a higher supply applicants.

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Little Ollie has a 2:1.

Not much else.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

He makes no actual argument for how this would "stop the recruitment crisis". He talks about how nice it would be, blah blah - but no rationale for relating such a move to solving the recruitment crisis.

He admits it sounds "counterintuitive" - that's because it IS.

4. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Supply and demand is why academies are allowed to recruit unqualified staff as teachers. Granted that good knowledge of a subject is no guarantee of being able to teach it, I'd go along with a 2.1 as the minimum requirement. But then there would have to be proper training such as is carried out in successful countries, a proper career structure, a proper salary, and the ability to be a professional without having to put up with a bunch of arrogant amateurs telling you how to do something they could never do in a year of Sundays.
    Won't happen. It'll be done on the cheap as usual.

JL48 likes this.
  5. Skeptical_John

Skeptical_John New commenter

I was informed on twitter that 'this worked in Finland' how often does that phrase come up? I mean why stop at a 2:1 you could make it a first and get even more, right?

Middlemarch likes this.
  6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

TES News is desperate for content. They're practically dragging in off the street anyone who can use a keyboard. The MumsNet founder posted something the other day.

jarndyce and Middlemarch like this.
  7. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Well this young man came across as a typical teach first - ask questions later.
    As for OFSTED offering helpful advice - this is the next big stick to beat your staff with. Yet another of those future leaders who have no ideas just talking the party line.

delnon likes this.
  8. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

OFTWIT offering helpful advice: that's like the bloke on the terraces in his XXXXXL footy shirt dreaming that he could go on the pitch and score the winning goal.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

In amongst all this head scratching and "Teach First then run away quick" pearls of wisdom such as "I want to raise awareness of teaching", has anyone had the bright idea of turning it back into a job which people don't want to leave... that might do it.

10. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Having read the article what is the retention rate for teach first - not good last time I looked. A cost of 42 million pounds for 1200 trainees with a 40% dropout rate maybe we should only make it PhDs only.

11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Why would 'the best' want to put up with teachers' pay and conditions?

delnon likes this.
  12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

[​IMG]

lanokia likes this.
  13. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

One of the best teachers I worked with had a 3rd..........

Landofla, delnon, JL48 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Interesting idea. Solve recruitment and retention by having a higher level of degree. Making it more difficult to enter teaching.

Will this not produce even fewer trainees? How does this help? Do people with higher class honour degrees stay in teaching longer? If so where is the proof?

mirror.png

Landofla likes this.
  15. mm38

mm38 New commenter

It also adds no context. Is a 2:2 from Oxbridge really that bad a degree?

jarndyce, Landofla and Yoda- like this.
  16. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

I actually think it's inhumane to train anymore teachers until they sort this hideous mess out.

17. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

I don't have a 2:1.

I guess I should just leave now?

Landofla likes this.
  18. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Is the idea not that if you insist upon good graduates those people will insist upon better pay and conditions which will make teaching a high status and desirable profession hence improving recruitment. It's a bit of a long term plan.
    o_O

delnon likes this.
  19. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Yes. Because there are no good graduates in teaching right now.o_O

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Or is the plan that if you only accept 2;1s or better then the market will mean you have to offer better pay to attract the limited supply of suitable applicants away from other professions?

Back in the day when I started teaching a 'good' degree started you further up the pay spine. IIRC a 2:1 or better started you on pay point 4 (on an 11 point scale). You also got extra points for relevant work experience. My 15 years in industry as a scientist got me another 5 pay points ( 1 for 3) so I started on point 9 of the scale. (My HT was not pleased)!