1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To stay or to go...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by thetapdancingteach, May 11, 2020.

1. thetapdancingteach

thetapdancingteach New commenter

Hi everyone!
    So at the start of this year I found another job (outside of teaching) that was supposed to commence in July this year, and I was really excited about it. Unfortunately for me, it's now been put off indefinitely because of the Coronavirus. I hadn't resigned at my current school before the lockdown started, so as far as anyone knows, I'll be back in September and nothing will have changed.
    The thing is, part of my reason for looking elsewhere is that even though I love my department, I really don't think this school is the right fit for me. Can't really explain that; it just doesn't feel right. I can just about cope with the idea of staying until Christmas, but there's no guarantee I'd be able to start my other job in January and I don't want to be without a job.
    Weirdly, a job came up last week at one of my 'dream schools,' if you can have such a thing. It's got a sixth form centre, which I like, and I'd have the option to teach drama as well as English, which I'd love. But I feel like it'd be really weird of me to leave my current school now, in the middle if all of this? And I don't know how I'd go about telling the rest of my department!
    If you actually read all of that, well done! Just looking for a bit of advice!
    Thanks

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

Speaking as someone who has recently handed in their notice and felt guilty about doing so in the middle of all this I can tell you that it was honestly fine. Nobody is irreplaceable even in this climate and they have had no problem hiring a replacement for me. You have nothing to lose by applying for this other job. Go for it!