1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To spell or NOT to spell ???

Discussion in 'Primary' started by diploma_98, Jul 2, 2012.

1. i am an old teacher working in Egypt for the past 36 years.. i have seen NEW methods come and go. The one that really GETS my goat is the one that lets pupils in Primary one spell as they like... example boy is boye.. or name is naym. The teacher in Primary one lets them spell how they like , and so when they come up to me in Primary 2 they write all words wrong!!
    Who agrees with me that THIS method is not good enough, from the start they MUST learn the correct way to spell !!!

2. i am an old teacher working in Egypt for the past 36 years.. i have seen NEW methods come and go. The one that really GETS my goat is the one that lets pupils in Primary one spell as they like... example boy is boye.. or name is naym. The teacher in Primary one lets them spell how they like , and so when they come up to me in Primary 2 they write all words wrong!!
    Who agrees with me that THIS method is not good enough, from the start they MUST learn the correct way to spell !!!

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

They must learn the correct way to spell, but surely there is a balance to be struck. Constant correction and redoing work can turn children right off writing. With such young children, being able to write something that can be understood (often probably phonetically) is surely something to be praised. Of course the two disciplines are complimentary, but I personally don't think that in primary one, that spelling everything correctly needs to be the focus.

4. I think I fall somewhere between the 2. As a yr 3 teacher I receive in september every year children with horrendous spelling skills and I completely blame the over emphais of phonics in ks1. Whilst I appreciate greatly how useful phonics is, I also believe a greater emphasis must be placed on getting children used to spelling patterns, spelling rules and an ability to at least be able to spell the top 100 High requency words would be nice. I have a daughter in Yr 1 currently and I do love her confidence in writing, but it does strike me that she doesn't recognise her errors of what for me are simple words which should be routinely taught.
    Whilst composition is important, those spelling skills are also important. A better balance needs to be struck.

5. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

I am a Year 2 teacher and have always encouraged the children to look at the word and see 'does it look like' esp with the vowel diagraphs. I would have the different options written on the board and the children would have to write the correct version on their white board.

6. It's the emphasis on phonics in the infants that is enabling every child to be able to spell a huge number of words with a growing understanding of the alphabetic code.
    Where phonics may get a bad name is that the phonics teaching does not always progress well enough to teach a more comprehensive alphabetic code focused very explicitly on 'spelling alternatives' with sufficient visual support.
    Teachers need to tell children that our English written code is complicated and therefore they will need lots of help over the years. Thus, any picking up of spelling errors is focused on the code being complicated not along the lines of the child being a failure.
    I suggest that all classrooms need a clear Alphabetic Code Chart showing a good range of spelling alternatives and much of my work is focused on promoting this notion.
    Further, there should be clear support for the high frequency words which are tricky in every classroom and the building up of spelling word banks over the years throughout primary.
    So, it isn't that phonics teaching is bad for spelling, it's that phonics teaching is not necessarily yet good enough to progress spelling year on year and for every child.