1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To resign or not to resign...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Womaan, Oct 26, 2011.

1. I am a SENCo in a small -ish Infant school. I have been doing the role for about 8 years and have been at the school a total of 14. I 'acted up' as Deputy ( a bit reluctantly tbh) last school year while they appointed someone ( it wasn't meant to take a year) but this has never been my "thing' . I am SO unhappy there... but all jobs out there for someone as 'expensive' as me seem to be Deputy headships. I have been toying with just resigning and doing everything I can to get a job for January. Does it look bad if I have already resigned when ( if! ) I go for interviews? Would prospective schools even know? HELP!!!! Mnay thanks

2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

There aren't that many jobs for January and there's no guarantee you'll get one so you'd need to have a plan for what you'd do if you didn't get one.
    I resigned mid year in desperate circumstances a few years ago - it was two years before I managed to get another post and even now I just work on one temporary contract after another. I don't regret leaving my permanent post because it had got too bad to stay but if you can face staying put until you've got another job to go to then I would.
    The clincher is your health - if it's affecting your health then you have to leave.

3. Thanks for that becky70. I really appreciate your opinions and to hear of your experience. Hmmmm lots to think about.

4. There are sooooooooooo many teacher out there and, certainly in Kent, not enough jobs to go around. Supply is poor too (I did that for a year and only just managed to get an average of 3 days a week - it was awful) I would advise that you don't resign, you can still look for other jobs in the meantime but it could take longer than you expect dependent on the jobs that come on the market.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Think really, really carefully before you do. Lots of people do this and then realise they can't get another post at all. The post you have now could well be your last if you resign with no other post to go to. If you are able to take that risk then go for it, if that would be a disaster then don't.

Have a look on the jobseekers forum. There are lots and lots of threads from people on M6 and UPS who have spent years and years trying to get any post, a permanent one often seems an impossible dream.

Obviously, if you are unhappy, then start looking and applying for anything and everything that comes up. But you might be better putting up with what you have until you get another post. It is always easier to get a job when you have a job.

6. Many thanks Laurat2.

7. Thank you minnieminx. Much appreciated