1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To reset learning...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Clairenatalie, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Clairenatalie

Clairenatalie New commenter

Hello!!!

I was wondering if someone could enlighten me please... what is it to reset learning? I can't find an answer that makes much sense to me (career changer in my forties, zero experience of education prior to starting my PGCE! Placed in a reception class). If anyone can help me get my head around this I would be super grateful.

Thanks,

Claire x

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You set up an activity...pupils use the activity ...you set it up again ready for someone else to use.

E.g.
    You set up an 'invitation to learn' with brand new balls of home made scented playdough in lovely autumn colours and some tiny matchstick things, assuming they will all make autumn hedgehogs about to hibernate.
    Pupils spend ten minutes in 'independent learning' and you've been busy encouraging 'non-aggressive sharing' (refereeing fights) bythe one indoor bicycle.
    In a slight pause, you look across and see freaky playdough creatures with matchsticks stuck in them in the manner of voodoo dolls, bits of dough all over the floor and no children anywhere near the table.
    As all pupils seem engaged in learning, it seems a shame to pull them away, so you go and 'reset the learning' (i.e. tidy up the mess and inwardly curse pintrest).

Well that's how I understand it to be anyway.
    I'm sure there is a more professional sounding explanation.

nizebaby, ct186 and Gsr25 like this.
  3. Clairenatalie

Clairenatalie New commenter

caterpillartobutterfly thank you so much for that fantastic response!!! Makes a lot more sense and I see now that I have been way over-complicating it in my brain! Thank you <3 xx

4. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

Some things are better kept simple! I'm not someone who enjoys or uses pointless jargon. Writing a presentation about outdoor learning that I'll deliver next week and I love that I can make it nice a simple for them all to understand.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It goes like this...
    Open the doors and let the children out.
    Let them explore.
    Keep them out when they whinge they haven't anything to do.
    Watch and smile when they realise they can create their own activities from nature/man made bits.
    Be almost reduced to tears when you see the play and learning that happens.
    Wipe your tears away when they complain about having to come back in as it is the best fun they ever had.

Oh and when it is pouring with rain.
    Put wellies and full waterproofs on the children.
    Put wellies and full waterproofs on yourself.
    Make sure everyone's hoods are up, including your own.
    Go on a puddle hunt.
    Model how to jump in puddles to make the biggest splash.
    Find a football and model throwing it into a puddle.
    Watch and enjoy.

Gsr25 likes this.
  6. TeacherMan19

Min
    A large portion of it was about risk management and what to do if a child falls over!

7. ct186

ct186 New commenter

Always enjoy Caterpillartobutterfly’s comments; no nonsense, no beating around the bush - tell it how it is practical solutions.

My interpretation of “Reset Learning” (fancy version)

Theor*etical Studies
    Edgar.K.Sh.L (2019) “Reset learning” stems from the branch of pedagogical studies involving anthropomorphism; the application of mechanical attributes to human beings. Reset buttons were introduced into early desktop computers in the 70s in order to restart minor errors in computer programming (soft reset); this would involve applying minor pressure, usually the index finger to the reset button until the screen went blank. and restarted to being working again

Practical Applications
    Edgar.K.Sh.L (2019) discovered similarly to children (small people) the same could be applied to “reset learning” from errorful ways. “Reset Learning” was a popular form of thinking in the 1970s and 80s when corporal punishment in schools was still legal.

Example:
    Reception Teacher: “Billy Bobbins stop pulling Mary’s hair and get on with your learning and memorise your 2 times tables!”
    Billy: No (in an agitated tone)
    Reception Teacher: Ok, I’m going to have to apply the principles of “Reset Learning”
    [Teacher brings out the stick and applies same technique as pressing a reset button]
    Billy: Ouch...Ouch...Ouch [learning reset]
    Billy: 2x2 is 4, 2x3 is 6 ...

Sorry Clarienatalie, I know it is not much help. I’ve a bit too much time on my hands this Saturday afternoon.

*Hypoth (replace this word before the star)

8. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

I would be more concerned about an adult falling over as they have further to fall. Have you have heard of benefit risk assessments? This is when you weigh up the benefit of the risk to the child and how you would manage it.

9. TeacherMan19

I haven't actually. I'll have to read up on them and recommend them for use in my setting. Can you point me in the direction of any good examples?

10. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

"resetting learning" refers to a horrendous practice in which a manager observing a teacher interrupts them, tells them they are doing it wrong, and takes over to demonstrate the "correct" way to do it. Unions and many MATS ban it. It confuses and upsets children and embarrasses staff, and is of no benefit what so ever. Not least because in my experience, the manager in question may well not even know the lesson content.

ct186 likes this.
  11. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

If you search risk benefit assessments for Forest School lots of options will come up from Learning Through Landscapes and learning outside the classroom which covers all aspects of outdoor learning. Sara knight has also written a very good book about risk which is worth a read.