1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To package or not to package

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by lindenlea, Jan 6, 2012.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Thought I'd start a new thread on this subject rather than let it get hidden elsewhere.
    We've been wondering about booking a package holiday this year. We've gone independently for years but felt a bit exposed during some volcano action last year and have decided to try and avoid car hire this year - I'm always convinced I'll be ripped off or the car will be stolen or some other expensive disaster will happen . Trouble is we like to avoid hearing English spoken as much as possible. Stood in a queue at an airport last year as a Thomsons coach arrived and the carrying on had to be seen to be believed - all this hugging and kissing the reps and shouting up and down the queue to new friends. Couldn't stand that!! However - don't want to spend a fortune for an "exclusive" tour operator either. You see I'm basically a standoffish, risk averse skinflint. Any suggestions.

2. My thoughts entirely though we do spend out sometimes on trips we organise ourselves. You know have time to drive those lovely European roads in your own car which were pretty empty off the main drag when we went end Sept early Oct.
    Istarted reading some of the threads on SAGA website for tours and was not overkeen!

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

That is perhaps the answer. We are planning a move further south so the ferries will be more accessible and we haven't been to France for years so that's a definite possibility. I'm feeling really stuck in limbo with no one looking at the house (it's Jan I know) and not wanting to spend money on the usual home improvements / holidays because of the hefty bill for moving. G'child 2 on the way too so we might wait till after the big event and then head south, move or no move.
    I thought I probably deserved a rude response so was quite heartenend that you feel the same way - who said "Hell is other people!!"

4. That was Jean-Paul Sartre. I think he played inside left on the Monty Python Philosphers' football team.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

What about a villa holiday? You get off the plane, pick up your hire car, drive to the villa, and do what the hell you want interacting with whoever you want, then reverse it on the way home. many companies offer this, but James Villas are advertising heavily in TV at the moment, Tried them two years running previously then circumstances changed. No hassle, all you really have to do is get yourself to the airport, everything is prebooked.

7. We have always been reclusive and stand-offish..particularly on holiday! We always travelled indepenedantly and booked hire cars and villas. We never wanted other people around our pool. However retirement has changed us a bit ..and we did our first ever package holiday ever in November and enjoyed it. We still spent most of the time doing our own thing and avoided the coach tours like the plague..but we got a classy four start hotel, flights and transfers included for a week for under £1000. It's not for everyone but my retirement philosophy is "try everything once". Enjoy whatever you decide and congrats on Grandchild No2.