1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

to move to bahrain or not to move

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by luckyblue, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Any opinions on moving to bahrain. Do you think the problems will get much worse, or continue to get better as they are doing now?

2. It will definitely get worse. The only unknowns are when and how.
    The Shia minority uprising has been crushed but none of the injustice has gone away and bitter resentment has been added to the previous complaints.
    MAYBE the Crown Prince will get some dialogue going and sort it out before it boils over again. If not, the harder and longer they crush it, the greater the force of the eventual explosion.
    Worst case scenario is years, or even decades, of violence. If Iran is as involved as Bahrain authorities claim then we can expect to see well armed martyrs, suicide bombers, etc before long.
    Like a lit firework, stay well away.

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

I didn't realise that Bahrain was still potentially so volatile and dangerous.
    What do you think the next year will bring?

4. There are two very interesting pieces of news on the BBC website this evening, the first here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13221574
    is about the sentencing to death of four of the protestors who rose up against the regime last month.
    "The seven defendants were tried behind closed doors on charges of premeditated murder of government employees - allegedly running two police officers over in a car.
    Rights groups say they were denied communication with family or friends and had little access to legal counsel."
    The second here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula_one/13224497.stm
    is a piece saying that Bernie Ecclestone still hopes that the F1 race can go ahead.

"Things can change in a couple of weeks... so you don't know," he added.
    "All of a sudden everything might be peaceful in a month's time and they are happy to run the event and so we are happy to be there."
    Remember that Ecclestone gets about 20 Million quid for each race.
    Quite incongruous wouldn't you say? And yet that is Bahrain. In this time where the US/UK/French alliance is pounding Gaddafis forces in Misrata, where Hague is promising arms to the Syrians, why was nothing done to help the Bahraini's when they rose up?
    Simple really the US fifth fleet dock there, the UK trains their police force and both countries use their "secret" airbase, outside which I once had a picnic with my friends from BAPCO.
    Bahrain is dirt poor, it gets what wealth the Royal Family waste from the Saudi's who have gifted it the use of two of their oil wells, and an attempt at becoming a financial hub.The ex pats who live there give nothing back, they buy houses but they are in the UK or Cyprus, they don't stay there for their holidays and they perpetuate the way the lower classes are treated by spending most of their free time in the Dilmun or British Clubs or if they really want to rub it in they go off to the Ritz.

I spent two years in Bahrain and had a great time doing all of these things, the school I worked at was very good with a great bunch of staff, however, looking back, and seeing what is happening there now, I have to say that the politics of the place stink.
    As long as they have the backing of the Saudis things will stay relatively peaceful but as soon as one cleric declares holy war I would not want to be in Marks and Spencers at the Seef mall for all the heroin in Afghanistan.
    Polemic over.

OK

5. omarkyam - spot on. I was there for a few years but left before all this trouble started. There are great injustices but many expats there are shielded to the point that they don't actually believe that the Shi'ite majority have a legitimate complaint.

6. [quote user="sniper" omarkyam - many expats there are shielded to the point that they don't actually believe that the Shi'ite majority have a legitimate complaint. /quote]

This is the case with many expats all over the Middle East..... many people are in denial, and think that what is said by most of the locals they have dealings with, represents the reality. They often don't even realise that those who mix with expats often aren't at all representative of the majority.

7. Might as well keep this one near the top as the schools there are still advertising.... I really expected some flack from those people in Bahrain perpetuating this regime but perhaps they have all retired to their villas in Cyprus?

Anyway, taken from the Independent:

Bahrain charges 50 medical staff with anti-state conspiracy
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/bahrain-charges-50-medical-staff-with-antistate-conspiracy-2278518.html
    Whatever next? Dentist shut down for working on the mouth of someone who kissed someone who once called the King a despot?

As-Salaam-Alaikum
    OK

8. So All is well on the Island of the Twin Seas. The King has said that he is going to bring emergency rule to an end on the first of June.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13327879
    So therefore things will go back to normal, no?
    Normal as in Saudis driving over the causeway every Thursday night and getting slaughtered at the Gulf Hotel then driving home and mowing down a couple of Keralan houseboys, no need to worry though as you can either keep driving back over the causeway or just pay off the family.
    Normal as in the whole Government having the same surname, I thought that sort of thing only happened in Tennessee or Manitoba?
    Normal as in Ecclestone probably getting his GP back on. (Kerching $$$)
    Normal as in British policemen getting back out there to train the thugs that carried out the atrocities a while ago.
    And, of course, normal as in the teachers all piling down to the clubs to drink alcohol brought to them by a subjugated people.
    Normal, yeh right.....

As-Salaam-Alaikum
    OK

9. 'Am I really still the only one who finds it amazing, indeed appalling, at least sad that the US have not condemned Bahrain for the slaughter of a few weeks ago?'
    No, you're not the only one.... but who's listening? And they haven't said a word about what's going on in Yemen, either.... that is, if they're not still actively supporting the dictator....

10. I
    would suggest that 'westerners are in no way affected' because they do not live
    in the Shia villages and did not meet at the now destroyed Shia mosques.
    As
    for media hype, I am seeing a continuous and consistent message across a range
    of reputable media outlets. I also lived
    there for long enough to trust my intuition regarding the factual basis of
    these reports.
    “The
    Bahraini monarchy, having effectively declared war on the majority of its own
    people, is likely to win in the short term because its opponents are not armed.
    The cost will be that Bahrain, once deemed more
    liberal than its neighbours, is turning into the Gulf's version of Belfast when they were convulsed
    by sectarian hatred.”
    http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/patrick-cockburn-bahrain-is-trying-to-drown-the-protests-in-shia-blood-2284199.html

But
    I would agree with your caution about what else the country has to offer. It is a rubble strewn sand bar with no
    redeeming features beyond the tax free salaries.

11. Having spent the last three years in Bahrain , I would caution candidates who wish to teach here simply because there is such a high number of people departing . The schools are desperate for pupils and staff alike . Many teachers are trailing spouses whose companies are simply relocating or consolidating middle eastern offices . There isn't apparent danger to expat community , but there is a strong undercurrent of unease about the recent and on going issues . Previous posts attest to the lack of activities here but what you will find is a good community spirit amongst expats and to be honest I've enjoyed my time but won't be sad to go .

12. I suppose that we should all give thanks to Saint Bernard of Ecclestone for he has decreed that all is now well in the Kingdom of the Two Seas. Ye verily there will be oceans of cash for all to partake of, unless you are of a subnormal parentage...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula_one/13673349.stm
    Or, on the other hand should the F1 drivers be worried that if, God fordid, they should crash and miss the barriers full of rolled up dosh, they may have to go to a medical centre with no medics
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13673299

We shall see!
    I thought Blatter was bad last week but Ecclestone takes the biscuit!

13. LOST.

One Post.
    I wonder if anyone has seen the post which I put up here yesterday at about 2 PM? It would appear to vanished.
    TES moderator was there something wrong with my post of which I wasn't aware?
    As far as I can remember I just reported that 8 Shia protestors had been given life sentences for protesting in Manama, Bahrain earlier this year. It can be read on the BBC website. I also wondered why people would want to work there and perpetuate such a blatantly racist and subjugative governement.
    Did someone complain? Are they getting twinges of conscience whilst sunning themselves at the Ritz? I suppose that could be it.
    OK ?????? ?????

14. Hi
    All your messages have been really helpful, thanks! Am not moving to Bahrain, have decided to put it off for a while. I don't think its the right time now with everything going on, which is a shame , as i really rated some of the schools out there. Many thanks

15. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter