1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To move or not to move

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Bonnie23, Nov 25, 2017.

1. drvs

drvs Star commenter

A conversation within a conversation. Excellent.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Errrm no-one who is currently employed as a teacher can start until Easter.
    Any school advertising now will know this.

If your parents live there, it surely can't be that horrific!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

Not sure whether you would consider making the move and going on supply, There is a real shortage of supply in Scotland and at present there are many schools to choose from.
    I know lots of people are suggesting waiting for the 'right' school but in my experience sometimes schools in areas of deprivation can be a very supportive environment.
    Having family support when you are under stress is often helpful.

4. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Because the job is in Scotland they only have to give a months notice therefore they will likely take someone who can start sooner than pay someone to do supply for a term.

5. aypi

aypi Established commenter

Only one month notice required in Scotland.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ahhhh apologies, didn't know it was different there.
    Well I did, but not that notice periods were different.

Schools will wait for the right candidate.

I'm a massive fan of procrastination, so apply for the post and delay making a decision as to whether you want it or not.

7. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

I am in primary and am currently winding down after a long teaching career. I returned to Scotland a few years ago after teaching abroad for 3 years. I am teaching part time at present.
    Within my current school, two teachers from London have joined the staff on long term supply. One teacher who joined last year has been made permanent in the school. The other teacher who joined the staff in August is about to be interviewed for a permanent post. She has a very good chance of success in my opinion.
    My husband is a secondary teacher and has been supply teaching last year. Again, he is heading for retirement so does not want full time. He has been offered a range of posts.
    It might be worthwhile phoning a few education authorities and asking for information. I have found them helpful.

8. Psychochick

Psychochick New commenter

If the school is truly awful, jobs will come up there often. If it isn't, they won't. I've found that really there's four types of school. There's the ones that the students are nice and the staff are awful, I won't work in these. There's the ones where the staff are nice and the students are awful. I will work in these. Then there's the rarities. The ones where the staff and students are awful (no prizes for guessing what happens!) Then there's the ones where they're both lovely. They're like gold dust.

Alice K, pepper5, Bonnie23 and 2 others like this.