1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To lose weight, wear a blindfold!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Research at Konstanz Uni in Germany has shown that wearing a blindfold makes you consume fewer calories because you a) you worry that food you can't see may be rotten, b) when you can't see food you over estimate how much you have eaten so stop eating sooner c) if you can't see food, the salivatory reponse that releases gastric juices is not triggered so the food becomes harder to digest and d) not seeing the food makes you know when you are full. (Article in today's T'graph)

The research didn't seem to factor in how much you'd drop down your front if you couldn't see what you were doing. But it could be an opportunity for the market in blindfolds. Eat your hearts out Weightwatchers and Slimming World!

2. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Particularly effective if you wear the blindfold while crossing a road in Germany? :)

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

So blind people are never fat?

4. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Paul McKenna did something like this on one of his TV shows. People did find food less appetising when they couldn't see what they were eating.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'd challenge point c) from a scientific point of view.

Middlemarch likes this.
  6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Wot she said though probably not from a scientific pov
    Mostly coz the smell of certain foods triggers such responses in me

Especially bacon :)

BelleDuJour likes this.
  7. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

I can remember the chopsticks diet - you can lose a lot of weight if you are completely inept with chopsticks as I am and you use them for every meal. Imagine mixing the two - chopsticks blindfolded - what a giggle!

Lascarina likes this.
  8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

You'd have an additional handicap with that fag in your gob!;)

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

But I manage to drop food down my front without being blindfold- depending on the neckline of the garment I'm wearing.

oldsomeman and Lascarina like this.