1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To live and die in Grantham

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kibosh, Oct 19, 2015.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

"Possibly the best video I've ever seen, like a Ken Loach techno horror flick. That relentless beat is so raw and so beautifully coupled with this film. This is art"

"Its simplicity, atmosphere, driven hypnotic beat, and then the complete contrast later on. This song is more powerful with visuals than without and no, that is not the case with all music. Some music is amazing with audio only e.g. classical music for me is far more powerful in my own head with no visuals whatsoever. Its a personal thing and will be different for each person. The track is great, but the video is so good I can't imagine the song without the video since I have seen it. There are many reasons to like or dislike"
    (2 comments from YouTube)

Any thoughts welcome :)

HelenREMfan likes this.
  2. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

We want to know your interest!

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

How would anyone who lived in Grantham know when they'd died?

4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Great choice kibosh.......loved it.

As to Grantham.... for 2 excellent reasons I can't abide the place - one being the obvious Thatcher connection.

5. BobbyPhilips

BobbyPhilips Established commenter

I can't abide Austria, because of the obvious Hitler connection.

6. HelenREMfan

Good point Bobby....... mind you I did say 2 reasons......

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

There is no better epitaph to the Thatcher years than Grantham

If you've been, go. Just to see what can happen to a provincial British town.

There is no worse place.

Except Rotheram. Possibly.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  8. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Hmm...

I used to live in Lincolnshire, and though it wasn't Grantham I know the town pretty well - and I didn't recognise a single image from the 'film'! Maybe this actually wasn't filmed there?

Here are a few real photos from that (quite nice, I always thought) town:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

upload_2015-10-20_10-13-24.jpeg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Home towns have a very strong pull for the individual. I left my home town when I was 20 and could not get away quick enough yet these days when I visit I feel completely at home and would move back tomorrow given the opportunity.

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Whoo--a!! Rebellious yooff or what!? Four and a half mins on my life lost. Like FF, I've actually been to Grantham. Lovely place - irrespective of who grew up there.

11. HelenREMfan

Well it also has the very soul-less "business park" (i.e. quite a few unnecessary and unoccupied or quickly destined to be unoccupied) units.

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Strangely compelling, even though I don't especially like the music track or comprehend the related culture. A sort of cross between expressive dance and very high quality 6th Form Media Studies video project. It certainly raises questions, which is always welcome. Are you a fan yourself kibosh or is the producer known to you?

13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Miami!!!

Wooo big it up man!

But to be serious... if you want a nice town in Lincolnshire just drive a bit further down the A1[M] and pop into Stamford.

lexus300 likes this.
  15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Sadly not exclusive to Grantham though.

16. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

Can't see any connection to Grantham.

17. WaylonWu

Probably not. It looks more like Essex or Kent with all the flat landscape. One of those parts of the country left to deliberately decay because only the white working class mostly live there. And they don't matter, right?

Those are nice buildings.

18. WaylonWu

There are those who can't abide Phnom Penn because of the Pol Pot connection. Beijing because of the Mao connection or Moscow because of the Stalin connection.

19. WaylonWu

Or Stoke on Trent because of the Robbie Williams connection, or Dublin because of the Louis Walsh connection, or Dundee because of the George Galloway connection, or middle class Chippenham because of the Jeremy Corbyn connection,or Pretoria because of the Peter Hain connection, or Edinburgh because of the Blair connection...

20. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

I'm sat reading this while on a break at a college. In Grantham, after starting here in may.

Thanks guys!