1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To leave teaching or not

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by codymckee, Oct 29, 2015.

1. codymckee

codymckee New commenter

Hi, I have been having a constant battle with myself for over a month now and I am feeling very stressed. I have been teaching for nearly 10 years and this is the first year I've had a contract (still not permanent though). Previous to this I had 3 set days to work between 2 schools - not permanent again and I was only paid during term time.
    I have a 2 year old baby and I am shell shocked by the volume of work I now have in my full time position. I spend 1-2 hours with baby daily as he goes to bed at 7pm. I leave home at 7am and am home for 5 and iv work to do each night and weekend. I find it all quite over whelming.
    I know I'm not the first mother to work full time with a child/ family but I am debating whether a career in teaching is worth missing out on my family and having a life outside work. I really resent having work to do at home. When I was part time I dreamed of full time. Now I'm full time I can see I had a good balance when part time and I managed to budget well for the holidays.
    I'm obviously going to see out my contract but don't know what is next. Whether too see if part time is an option again or whether to find an alternative career......I have no idea what this would be either. I don't love teaching at all but the pay is good. And if I got part time again it probably wouldn't be permanent. My husband wants another baby too but we have to take finances into account. I just feel very over whelmed and confused. Any advice is gratefully recieved.

2. Joeyriles

Joeyriles New commenter

Hi Cody,

I too am struggling with the workload of teaching and I don't have any kids!

I'm possibly not the right person to advise because I feel that I'm a ball of negative energy at the moment; the job is untenable if you want to maintain a sense of order and balance in your personal life and I know of many with families who are struggling year on year.
    My only words of (sort of) wisdom are these: life is too short. Your child(ren) are everything and this job will never love you like they do.

All the best.

J

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Always put your children and your health before any job. Only you can decide what you want to do, but if you were to go part time again that would leave you some time to explore alternative careers and see if there is some additional training you could take to pursue something different. Teaching is not badly paid to some other careers. Do you have any skills like baking, drawing, photography or anything else you could turn into a part time business to supplement your part time teaching and work around your family? What you need is flexibility - try thinking of new and different things as well as the traditional working for others route. Some teachers also have private students and private tuition can pay well too. There is also network marketing which you could do part time with part time teaching. I can send you the details of a network marketing company I could recommend if you would like the details. Let me know if you would like the details and I will send them to you via PM.

I can't imagine working full time and as a teacher then having all the responsibilities of a small child; no wonder you feel overwhelmed.

You are very wise to consider your financial position before you have any more children and if you did have two you would find it even harder to manage with full time teaching. Get your finances on a stable footing( or as far as it is ever possible to) and what you would like to do as far as work and then decide about baby two.

Remember, your children will not be babies forever; they will get bigger and be more independent and that will make your working life easier. When they are out of secondary school you will still have plenty of time to work full time if that is what you desire.

All the best

Pepper5

4. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

Hello,
    I asked myself the same question for a long time. I think deep down I already knew the answer. Listen to what your body tells you - how does it all make you feel on a daily basis? For me it was not good so I decided not to go back to teaching and to look for alternatives. I've not found anything else yet but feel a lot better in myself. There are lots of options out there and I feel that something will come. The money is good in teaching but other things in life are priceless.

Best wishes

Scintillant likes this.
  5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

It is only a call you can make. You set the case up well, and it is one that many would understand.

The reality is, is that the debate depends on finances. There must have been a financial pull to make you go F/T in the first place. Can you afford to go part time? I understand the poster above, and those that say money is less important than happiness, and it is, but realistically some people are not as fortunate as others to be able to simply go without something to go to, or have a partner ho can take all the financial strain. Also it is hard to find new p/t positions as an 'outsider' a lot of internals want them. Could you apply where you currently are?

Overall it really depends on your financial position. You are doing the right thing in hanging back from other kids for now. Have a few months to consider your options then see where you are.

6. codymckee

codymckee New commenter

Thank you so much for the lovely replies. I realise that it is only me that can make the call. I will see this contract out to the end of the year. I know it may be extended...I will have to decide then if it is what I want. If p/t was also an option I would jump at it. I intend to save as much as possible and see what happens by June.
    I really do appreciate replies and would like to wish you all luck.

Thanks again

7. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

I suppose it would depend what pay scale one is on whether teaching can be considered well paid. When I think of the hours, constant scrutinise, the meetings, the demands on the personal life that teaching demands, the ongoing changes, ......, makes me think that as a profession, teaching isn't well paid. For me the tragedy is that we are not trusted as professionals to do our jobs without all the check-ups. And one does not have to sacrifice ones life for children to make progress and learn. They are kids after all, not professors.
    Good luck codymckee...things do work out in the end, this I believe.

8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

You have every right to request flexible working. Start to think about how it would work in practice, then go to the ht with the request and a plan to make it work for the school. They can refuse for business reasons. But if you come up with solutions you are in a better position.

TEA2111 likes this.
  9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter