1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To leave or not to leave???

Discussion in 'Primary' started by looloo38, Apr 13, 2011.

1. looloo38

looloo38 New commenter

Hi all I need some kind advice... I'm not having a good time at my school at the moment I have quite a few problems with the school and I think I want to leave. I have started looking at other schools hoping that I will find what is missing at my school, but it is such a gamble! Besides deciding on whether to stay in my job or not I also want to start a family with my husband, this is another problem to add to the pot. This is because i now have to consider whether starting a new school and then getting pregnant fairly soon is fair to them? Friends say - having a baby is most important and I shouldn't worry about what employers think, I am legally entitled to maternity pay therefore it shouldn't be an issue - but...being the worrier I am... I do care about what people think and I know that it wouldn't look good! So....should I stay, put up with my issues and have a baby here or...go be happier, have a baby anyway and not care what the new employers think???????????? Please, no harsh comments - in a sensitive position here : ( Thank you x

2. looloo38

looloo38 New commenter

Hi all I need some kind advice... I'm not having a good time at my school at the moment I have quite a few problems with the school and I think I want to leave. I have started looking at other schools hoping that I will find what is missing at my school, but it is such a gamble! Besides deciding on whether to stay in my job or not I also want to start a family with my husband, this is another problem to add to the pot. This is because i now have to consider whether starting a new school and then getting pregnant fairly soon is fair to them? Friends say - having a baby is most important and I shouldn't worry about what employers think, I am legally entitled to maternity pay therefore it shouldn't be an issue - but...being the worrier I am... I do care about what people think and I know that it wouldn't look good! So....should I stay, put up with my issues and have a baby here or...go be happier, have a baby anyway and not care what the new employers think???????????? Please, no harsh comments - in a sensitive position here : ( Thank you x

3. Stick it out and stay there! Go for the babies and take maximum maternity leave for each. Mess them about! Get on governors if you can! It will alll work out OK in the end - it did for me!!

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I suppose a lot depends on what you want to do after the baby is born. If you have no intention of returning to work then perhaps staying put might be a good idea. However, if you intend to return then a move might be worth considering. Do think really hard about this. I have recently covered two maternity leaves - both teachers were convinced that they would come back to work - neither did!
    Consider how hard it is to settle in to a new school. No matter how nice, there is bound to be more pressure because of the newness of everything. Could you cope with this and a pregnancy? Of course - you can never be certain that a new school would be better - grass is greener comes to mind.
    How difficult is the situation at your present school. Do you think that if you took time out to have a baby and then came back fresh you feel different about the place? We all get jaded and there's nothing like a new baby to give you a different perspective on life!
    Always has to be your decision of course. Hope all goes well for you.

5. looloo38

looloo38 New commenter

Thank you for your advice, I'm an NQT so I would hope I would return to work, however you do suggest interesting questions, blimey I really dont know what to do, x

6. Finish your nqt year, have a baby then look for new job whilst on maternity leave. You don't have to go back to the same school. This would also give you time to think about how bad it is. You could always do supply, a good way of sussing schools out is to see how they treat the supply. Although that depends where in the country you are, still loads of supply here but I know not everywhere is the same.

7. looloo38

looloo38 New commenter

Don't I have to return to the same school after maternity leave I never knew that, I thought you would have to return for at least 6 months to a year like most jobs? X

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would say that if you don't like your job then leave. The last thing you want to to feel torn at leaving your new baby and only to be going to a place you dislike. At least if you like your school/job it helps with the regret.

Don't ever stay in a post you dislike.

Several years ago a colleague of mine left to be head of maths in a middle school, starting in the September. She fell pregnant in the June before starting, was off sick a lot and never actually started until after her maternity cover ended, about a year after they appointed. No they weren't thrilled, but there was nothing they could do. she fell pregnant again less than a year after returning, had another huge amount of time off sick and then took the full maternity. So in her first three years of appointment she was only there about 6 months I think. But hey she went back after the second child, stayed about 5 years, got promoted to DH. So hey ho, they must have forgiven her!