1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To leave or not to leave?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by riseandshine, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hi James,

I'm a KS2 primary NQT and I started in September. I had three observations last term and got satisfactory with elements of inadequate on all of them. As such, I had the box 'may or may not meet the NQT standards' ticked at the end of last term.

I had another observation today with the same outcome (for similar reasons, although this time they picked holes with my actual lesson, LO, planning and assessment, which have never been an issue before).

The main issues have been behavior and how I 'act' in front of my class.I can keep up to date with all of the planning, marking, assessment, etc. I have been told I've improved but not enough. I know that I wasn't strict enough when I first started and that I wasn't enthusiastic enough when praising so some of the class don't want to work for me / don't respect me.

I've been told to keep fighting through and that they still think that it is possible to save my position. However, on the other side of the coin is the possibility that I may not fight it through successfully.

If I don't, then obviously I could fail my NQT year and not be able to teach again. I don't want to leave my job because I know what mistakes I made when I started out with my class, and I am fairly positive that I would not make the same mistakes again if I started again in September with a new class, understanding what the school expects. I really do want the opportunity to prove that I've learnt enough and taken on board everything they've said so that I could be successful. However, handing in my notice now will obviously give me the opportunity to have a fresh start, still with one term left and not risking completely failing (I know that's hardly ideal as I'd need to be perfect for that term in a totally new school).

I have obviously had feedback from the observation and targets set. The targets are quite vague, although I agree with them, but I don't really have any success criteria as the targets are things like establish and stick with routines (which is what I've been trying to do all along!).

The support I have received was incredibly limited all of last term due to the long-term absence of a member of staff. I have received support this term because I've been to ask for it. It's too late, but can I complain about that when I should have asked for it before?

I have now been given the support of a SLT member in my classroom for a couple of weeks and the children are responding well, but worse when she's not there (I know if we don't work it well, this will end up undermining me). As this will continue until half term I have no real idea whether to hand my notice in now because I don't know what the class will be like for me after half term.

I have started to make my own folder of evidence against the standards. I have not received ANY guidance on this at all...

Any ideas?

2. Hi James,

I'm a KS2 primary NQT and I started in September. I had three observations last term and got satisfactory with elements of inadequate on all of them. As such, I had the box 'may or may not meet the NQT standards' ticked at the end of last term.

I had another observation today with the same outcome (for similar reasons, although this time they picked holes with my actual lesson, LO, planning and assessment, which have never been an issue before).

The main issues have been behavior and how I 'act' in front of my class.I can keep up to date with all of the planning, marking, assessment, etc. I have been told I've improved but not enough. I know that I wasn't strict enough when I first started and that I wasn't enthusiastic enough when praising so some of the class don't want to work for me / don't respect me.

I've been told to keep fighting through and that they still think that it is possible to save my position. However, on the other side of the coin is the possibility that I may not fight it through successfully.

If I don't, then obviously I could fail my NQT year and not be able to teach again. I don't want to leave my job because I know what mistakes I made when I started out with my class, and I am fairly positive that I would not make the same mistakes again if I started again in September with a new class, understanding what the school expects. I really do want the opportunity to prove that I've learnt enough and taken on board everything they've said so that I could be successful. However, handing in my notice now will obviously give me the opportunity to have a fresh start, still with one term left and not risking completely failing (I know that's hardly ideal as I'd need to be perfect for that term in a totally new school).

I have obviously had feedback from the observation and targets set. The targets are quite vague, although I agree with them, but I don't really have any success criteria as the targets are things like establish and stick with routines (which is what I've been trying to do all along!).

The support I have received was incredibly limited all of last term due to the long-term absence of a member of staff. I have received support this term because I've been to ask for it. It's too late, but can I complain about that when I should have asked for it before?

I have now been given the support of a SLT member in my classroom for a couple of weeks and the children are responding well, but worse when she's not there (I know if we don't work it well, this will end up undermining me). As this will continue until half term I have no real idea whether to hand my notice in now because I don't know what the class will be like for me after half term.

I have started to make my own folder of evidence against the standards. I have not received ANY guidance on this at all...

Any ideas?

3. Hello,
    I'm in a similar situation, or at least I was at the start of this term, as I got 'may not pass' last term and then was given some vague, wishy washy targets. You need to ask for clarification, and don't give up until they give you a measurable target that you can understand.
    At the start of this term I asked for clearer targets and I was given an action plan with targets and outcomes and details of how each one would be measured ann how the school were giong to support me to meet each one. I then also started having weekly meetings with my mentor in which I set mini targets for the week and show evidence of the target we set last week.
    As for having to ask for help, I am sort of in the same boat there too as my school are now being great, but they were pretty useless last term until I told them specifically what kind of help I needed and what I felt I was entitled to. Is the SLT member giving you useful tips and constructive feedback, or just sitting there to make the kids behave better? If I were you I'd tell them in writing what further support you feel you need. If they then don't respond, you've got evidence for the LA that the school didn't support you properly.
    If you're really thinking leaving might be best I'd try talking to your mentor about it first to see what they think. If they think that giong by your current rate of progress they're going to give you a 'may not pass' again, they may give you early release and let you go before the term is up so you have 2 terms left to finish (which may be better than having just 1 term to get it right at a new school). That's what they said they'd do at my school if things don't improve.
    If you read the guidelines for NQT induction (I think they're on the teachernet website) that outlines exactly what support you should have. Maybe you could try talking to your union also. Anyway I'm sure James will have some good advice, I just wanted to say, I know how it feels, and good luck!

4. Thanks.
    In my initial meeting with the SLT, she said that we'd have to be careful how to work it and asked me to think about what I want so that it doesn't end up undermining me and it does help me. However, I haven't had a chance to speak to her properly since then so, yes, she is basically sitting in there watching the children. As such, they respond better when she is in the room and the same, if not worse, when she is not. I expect that they no longer see me in the same light that they did.