1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"To kindle or to book," that is the question?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by HistoryEducator, Feb 3, 2020.

1. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

I alternate between using my kindle and buying books depending upon the price of the different formats.
    I'm now on book 2 of the Vera series, book 1. was printed, books 2-end of series are now on my kindle. They were having a 99p sale on the amazon kindle sale for Ann Cleeves books.
    I also will use my kindle for holiday reads so I don't have to lug books with me.
    What are your preferences

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Books - no contest

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Kindle. It’s light, easy to hold, can store lots on it. But only for novels.

4. HistoryEducator

@Sundaytrekker
    My main problem with using the kindle is I get confused with the features. If I want to check something in a "book" I flip through the pages to maybe see if I have the right character or event. I have given up doing that with the kindle.

5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Both. I tend to get paperbacks though and only buy a hardback copy of a book if I know I really want to keep it long term. I also use my phone to listen to audiobooks. I sync up my Kindle books with audiobooks so they can carry on from where I had read up to if I’m in the car or if I just fancy giving my eyes a rest. Whispersync keeps the audio version and the e-book version synced up until I’ve completed the book.

6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Agreed, that’s trickier with the kindle. On the other hand, with real books I often cheat and flick to look at the last chapter. That’s also possible but less easy to do.

install likes this.
  7. BreakEven

BreakEven New commenter

I do prefer a book as it feels i'm getting through the pages.

install likes this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

A book. It seems to have it's own personal identity to me. And I have a bad,.but enjoyable habit of folding the top corner of the pages as a bookmark.

9. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Without a doubt I prefer real books but having lived and worked in various countries over recent years, the kindle wins for practicality. It's much easier to carry when moving and you can buy books in many languages wherever you are in the world, so long as you have an internet connection.
    When I decide on a permanent base I'll go back to buying real books.

10. HistoryEducator

My late mother used to read the first chapter of a book then the last chapter and if she liked it finished the book! I could not understand why?

sbkrobson likes this.
  11. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Love my Kindle, especially the feature that allows me to conceal how much of the book I've read (and therefore how much is still to go). I never thought (in the 'paper-only' days) that it might be possible/desirable to not know when the end was approaching. With a Kindle making it possible to hide this fact, I've discovered that it adds a whole new element of suspense to any story.

Another issue which I love about Kindle is the dictionary-at-hand feature. I'm reading more and more novels in Spanish as my skills in the language finally approach an acceptable level. I love being able to click on a word and have a translation there in front of me. Gone are the days of carrying a dictionary around with my (Spanish) paperbacks.

Having written a couple of books, however, I will confess the thrill of having my own book on the bookshelf beats the thrill of having it on my Kindle. Can't explain why, something about the weight of it in my hand, flicking the pages, smelling it... Bit daft, really, but there you go...