1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To Kill A Mockingbird text URGENT request

Discussion in 'English' started by Azancot, Mar 29, 2012.

1. <font size="2">Morning,</font>
    <font size="2">I am a relatively new HOD in need of help! Due to a change over in
    staff, a rather important issue went un-noticed for some time. We have 170
    students who are taking the AQA Literature exam on To Kill A Mockingbird, yet
    we have very few exam texts in school; they all bought their own to work on
    their Controlled Assessment.</font>
    <font size="2">I really want to avoid purchasing these texts, as we will not be
    studying this text for at least the next two years. I am therefore looking for
    anyone who might be able to lend us some exam copies. We will pay for deliver
    both to and from us. If it means that we borrow from a selection of schools, I
    will be more than happy with that.</font>
    <font size="2">We are in Basingstoke in Hampshire, yet if I need to pay for a
    courier from further away, I know it would be cheaper than buying them.</font>
    <font size="2">I really appreciate your time in reading this, and would
    appreciate any assistance. This is currently occupying all of my dreams! The
    latest was me preforming a 'Challenge Anneka' style routine the night before
    the exam in May; rampaging all book stores in the North Hampshire area!</font>

<font size="2">Thanks</font>

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

What about purchasing e-books? Couldn't cost more than the postage you're suggesting. Are there enough with computer access to make this viable?

3. They won't be able to use an e-text in the exam.
    I am afraid that I don't have any bright ideas - ring local libraries?
    Could you not purchase the book on the proviso that next year's cohort then purchase these copies for starting reading in the summer term after the Lit exam?? Just a thought...

4. Why can't they use their own in the exam? As long as you check they are not annotated what is the problem? Did they all buy them? [Wow!]

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

They probably bought them so that they could annotate them. Some of our more diligent students do this. I think you'll just have to buy them. Local schools might be worth a shot for a set, but I think if it was us, we would grudgingly shell out and then try to sell some to students when we taught it again. And we would teach it until we got rid of them! Another idea, which is probably unworkable, would be staggering exam starts so that you give out books to half the cohort, and then have the other students start immediately afterwards. You would have to supervise the kids waiting but you would only need half the number of books.

6. Thank you all for your ideas. Yes, they were asked to buy their own copy so they could annotate them. The decision was made before I became the head of department and clearly the exam requirements were not taken into consideration. I shall try libraries and local schools. Fingers crossed.