1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To Kill a Mockingbird scheme of learning

Discussion in 'English' started by Kensington84, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Kensington84

Kensington84 New commenter

Hi all,
    I plan to teach To Kill a Mockingbird and Rani & Sukh in September, but have no resources at present. I was wondering if anybody who has a Scheme of Learning and/or resources would be so kind as to share them please? It would be really appreciated!
    Many thanks :)

2. Kensington84

Hi all,
    I plan to teach To Kill a Mockingbird and Rani & Sukh in September, but have no resources at present. I was wondering if anybody who has a Scheme of Learning and/or resources would be so kind as to share them please? It would be really appreciated!
    Many thanks :)

3. Send me your email address by PM and I'll wing some stuff on Mockingbird to you.

4. TESEnglish

TESEnglish Occasional commenter

5. Kensington84

Thank you for the responses people :)

6. manc

manc New commenter

Yeah: they're great those responses people, aren't they?

7. allotmentlady

allotmentlady New commenter

I would love some Mockingbird things as well. I have sent you a pm.
    Thanks

8. There is a good teaching resource for Mockingbird on Englishedu - I've found it to be most helpful.

9. manc

manc New commenter

I would send you a pm - if I knew what one was.

10. When you sign in, you will see some boxes on the right of the forum...there will be one called inbox. If you click on it, you can read any personal messages you have received, and it will also give you the option to send a message, known as a PM.

Hope this helps.

Penny

11. manc

manc New commenter

Thanks - I might start using that.

12. I?ve never taught Rani and Sukh, but I always use Shmoop as a resource for To Kill a Mockingbird. It provides a summary, quotes, character analyses, historical background, explores the themes, literary devices, writing style, plot, references of the book and also has essay questions, quizzes, pop culture references, related resources, and a ton of other features that facilitate effective teaching and learning.

13. The link you give focuses entirely on the Tom Robinson sub-plot, whist claiming to be a synoposis of the novel.

14. That's just an intro. A summary is available from the link on that page.

15. You're right. The summary is a lot better.
    Whilst it is a novel about racism, it's not just about racism. In many ways the Tom Robinson theme is the weakest part of the book, not very subtle and rather two-dimensional. It's necessary as backdrop for the more successful scenes, such as the missionary ladies' tea, but not particuarly well done in itself.

16. manc

manc New commenter

Hmmm... rather contentious I'd have said.

Isn't this like saying that Romeo and Juliet's relationship was an annoying distraction from Friar Lawrence's philosophical musings on the inherent duality on man's nature?

17. Yes. People who stage Romeo and Juliet say it's rather boring, so they tend to load the performances with jokes or gimmicks. Everyone remembers the names of the lovers and the balcony scene, of course, but the love relationship isn't really strong enough to carry the play.

18. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

I teach R&J for Year 10 controlled assessment, purely because I've got no qualms about 'ruining' it to teach towards a single question.

19. manc

manc New commenter

Erm... right, ok then.

20. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

It's life, manc, but not as we know it.