1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To kill a mockinbird controlled assessment AQA

Discussion in 'English' started by REbabe, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Iam going to do the CA on To kill a mockinbird with my year 10s. It is a special needs group and at the moment I am teaching them a summary of the story. Can anyone suggest two or three chapters that might help with the assessment

How does Harper Lee present the relationship between Atticus and Scout in two chapters of To Kill a Mockingbird
    Thanks

2. set223

set223 New commenter

Chapter three is a good one. Scout goes to school and Attcus towards the end of the chapter teachers her about compromise. I think it is also where he talks about imagining what it is like to walk about in some oneelse's shoes. You could also focus on how the children call their own father Atticus.

3. Thank you set223 .

4. I don't have a text handy so I can't quote the chapters, unfortunately.
    But one of the most interesting scenes is where Atticus shoots the rabid dog. The children hadn't known that their father was a crack shot until that time. Why does he keep that from them?
    Another is where Scout finds out that Atticus is obliged, by law, to defend Tom. So she could have stopped any taunts at school by just saying, "he's doing it because he has to". Is Atticus right to drag his children into an adult dispute, in this way?