1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To keep awake or not?...

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by beyondexcited, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I was looking for some advice about my 14 week old daughters bedtime routine. She usually goes to bed at 8.30pm after feeding at 7.30pm. She has 7 ozs at this feed, she then usually wakes at 3 for another feed - 5 ozs, but she can be difficult to settle again. She then sleeps until 8ish. Now I know that even this is quite good however the last few nights I have dream fed her at around 10.30pm. The results have been inconsistent, she can settle straight away or she doesnt!
    Last night I had to pick my partner up from a night out at 10pm so she didnt go to bed, although she slept on sofa for 30 mins and then in car. When we got home she woke up, had nappy change and was fed 5ozs and slept till 8.45am!!! Now I dont know whether to keep her up until 10ish and feed her again or put her to bed at usual time and dream feed. Part of me thinks I should as results last night were brilliant, the other half thinks I should keep routine and actually have an evening with my partner!
    What do others think?

2. Yosushi

Yosushi New commenter

Hi there,
    Well from my point of view I would keep the evening with your partner. Your lovely baby has your attention for the whole day, so I do think its important to have some quality time with your partner, where it is just you two. Also for me having a set bed time for my baby has meant that I have been able to still do things for myself like exercise and not be interupted which is amazing.
    Everyone does find their own way but for me to have my evenings free has made my days more enjoyable. Plus having your whole evening and your baby waking up at 8ish sounds brilliant. I wouldn't swap that for an extra 45 mins in the morning.
    Have a good day.

3. bessiesmith

bessiesmith New commenter

I'm guessing that the OP was more excited about not having to do the 3am feed than the extra 45mins in the morning! My son is 14 weeks old and has been sleeping through from 11pm to around 8am since around Christmas. For that reason I don't put him to bed any earlier because I've found that he would wake up somewhere around 4am feeling hungry and I like my sleep!
    We are happy to have him around in the evenings because OH leaves early in the morning and only gets home around 6ish so he likes to play with him in the evenings. However I can see there is a good argument for having some time together without baby...I don't think there is any right answer to most of these things.
    I also think there is a large element of luck in baby sleeping habits. Talking to friends with babies many of us have tried exactly the same things and ended up with totally different sleeping patterns. My son barely sleeps at all during the day apart from the odd half hour cat nap for example.

4. Ha! Bessie you are right, was bliss sleeping through the whole night! Its strange, as when she is dreamfed she still can wake up at 3am, but she isnt really hungry...more habit I think. I think I will put her to bed as normal and keep trying with dreamfeeding and see if she will sleep through with that. Maisie doesnt sleep much during day either, half hour here or there so I do know she is tired around 8ish.
    Thanks for both your replies

5. Completely irrelevant to the thread but congratulations on your son, Bessie, and good to read about your life as a mum.