1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

To keep accepting TA work?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Supplygirl111, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Supplygirl111

Supplygirl111 New commenter

Hi,
    I'm with 2 agencies.
    I've been accepting TA work in a school for the past 2 weeks because the agency have said teaching is slow.
    My account manager has been ringing my on the friday and prebooking me.for the whole week as a TA and i've agrees bevause i just want work (NQT and need money).
    But I met someone from my other agency in the school this week, and she had teaching work from them all last week but TA that day, but.obviously ive been unavailable to that agency for the past 2 weeks.
    I gave other agency a call to explain why ive been unavailble and they said now tjey know im with another agency, i"ll be their priority for teaching work.

But what if the agency who is giving me TA work.ring me.today to prebook for all next week as a TA in the school i'm in? Do i accept for money and work?

2. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

Tricky one.
    Advice is usually to know your worth and you are a trained teacher and should only accept work that matches your position.
    However, it is easy to be tempted if you are really struggling financially and some money is better than nothing.
    I have always tried to avoid TA work, possibly in 17 years I agreed 5 times as I was really struggling. In my experience once you accept, with some agencies that is what they will always try to offer you and will keep on trying. They do not seem to unserstand ' no, I will not work as a TA.
    Perhaps do not accept pre booked work, but say you will accept last minute TA work if no teaching work is available that day.

3. Supplygirl111

I feel like im having a panic attack.
    Agency text me asking if i'll do another full week TA, I rang them back saying could they ring my daily as ive missed out on teaching work with another agency this week.
    She asked if i could do Monday and Tuesday, I said not Tuesday but I could do Monday,
    Anyway, she rang back a minute later saying the school only need me monday now not the rest of the week but I will be their first priority for teaching now as i've helped them,
    But now i'm doing TA work monday but what if other agency ring me Monday saying there is teacher work,
    I'm new to supply so dont really know what im doing with agencies

agathamorse likes this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Supplygirl111

Take a big breath and relax...

One thing you must do even though agencies always won't is keep your word as you need to keep your reputation as someone who can be trusted to do what you say you will.

If you have committed to Monday for TA work then you should fulfil that promise even if the other agency ring and offer teaching work. Who knows? The school may like having you there and will think of you when teaching work arises.

You have done well to bat them away for a whole week of pre-booked TA work. Your experience will develop with agencies and you will get better at dealing with them.

Try to take one day at time with supply and don't worry too much about it as once you do it a little while a pattern will develop and you will start getting more teaching work.

Pwtin's advice is very good - just accept last minute TA work and not pre-booked TA work.

5. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

And also, do your best not to give the agency too much info. By that I mean if you've accepted a days work with one, and the other rings to offer work or check availability, don't be specific with what you've committed to "I've made plans for that day/ week or whatever is suffice" what you're doing when you're not working for them is not their business. I've had an agency do me out of work when I went to trial teach, the one rang up and bad mouthed me to the school! I've had abmnuisance who never even got me work, but led me a merry Dance claiming she had me booked in for a half term ringing me all the time fishing for information, I'd say I'm working, she'd be where, what school, which agency.. Oh it's only so I don't send your cv to them...
    So less is more, I've made, arrangements, I've got plans in not available.
    On the ta front, I think special school ta ing pays better. Never take work at cover supervisor rate.... Never ever do that, and always ush for as much as you can, if you get in long term push for more.
    The agency is there to find you work, not to stress you out. You will work it out.
    And if you get long term you may be able to get bit of nqt done with it. I can't remember.
    And when you get the teaching, never forget you're the boss. Ignore all the daft question s "how long you been teaching are you a proper teacher, how old are you, etc" I'll tell you at the end if thd lesson when you've done all you work. Assure them that there wi be no questions on the life

JohnJCazorla, tonymars and pepper5 like this.
  6. Supplygirl111

Thanks for your replies everyone;
    Can i just ask 1 more question:

Will the other agency still give me calls even though for the past 2 weeks, i've been unavailble? I gave my account manager from other agency a ring the other day basically updating them that i still want teaching work and she was lovely and said i'd be a priority for teaching due to being with another agency

JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  7. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Hi, Supply girl.

I think as you’ve accepted some work you will be in the agency’s mind. This is not the time of year when teachers are absent so you probably haven’t missed much teaching work.

I think sticking to short term only for TA works sounds sensible.

Long term you may want to look at retracing for other careers in breaks between work

JohnJCazorla, Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi again

Don't worry about what the consultants think...they know the score:first come first served and you have to take work when it is offered. They normally do not hold grudges.

As Deird wisely suggests, get some further experience/training in an additional field in your "down"time.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

I would fulfil the weeks work, because money is money, but the agencies attitude is shocking and you should remind them in a polite manner that you do not TA work, but would like teaching work as well.

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. Supplygirl111

@historygrump i'm only.doing Monday TA work, i declined the weeks work of TA.as last week i missed out on some teaching days so I'm taking the risk, even if i have a few days off,
    My account manager was not expecting me to decline, i think she thought i was an easy person to get as a TA

pepper5 likes this.
  11. Supplygirl111

Sorry for asking again, i just need advice from you all as you have a lot of experience,
    So the agency getting me TA work phoned me about quarter to 4 yesterday asking if i'd do the rest of the week (it waa a different woman as the woman who usually.deals.with my area is off.sick for 2 days), i said i've now said i'll only accept TA work daily but as it was almost 4 o clock i accepted for tomorrow so i had work.
    But i'm going to be expecting another call today about 4 asking me if i'll do tomorrow but I dont know what to do!

Part of.me.wishes i stuck to.one agency as i've been so unavailable to the other agency due to this TA work

pepper5 likes this.
  12. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

You need to calm down about all this...
    Accepting last minute work as a TA actually means ' that morning '
    You have now accepted pre booked work.
    Has the other agency actually been ringing you with teaching work which you are missing out on?
    You are in the driving seat, tell this agency that you will no longer be accepting TA work and stick to your guns and hold out for teaching work.

JohnJCazorla, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If this happens do remember this
    and in fact only after a time when teaching work is likely to come in.

If after a couple weeks no teaching work has actually been offered and you are desperate for any money, that would be the time to review whether you'd accept pre-booked TA work. Wlll also give the agency the message that you're not a pushover for accepting any work.

JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  14. sebastian_paz1

sebastian_paz1 New commenter

Well, this term was very very quiet for me and I accept some TA work, but on the daily basis. Especially because I need some money to at least pay the rent. But i usually wait till half 7 to say yes, unless is a very convenient location (I was sent to Kent a number of time with a much better rate but now I am still saying no to that one) Yesterday and today nothing. I did only one day as a teacher and une hour of after schools club.

pepper5 likes this.
  15. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

As you get more experienced with supply, you will learn to get a balance. I think you’ve done the right thing- to accept *some* work, where you can prove yourself. This is the slowest time of year, and there’s a lot of time to do teaching work! Agency may also have eased you in gently with TA work.
    Just focus on getting work, and doing an excellent job. Then, slowly, insist on teaching work only. At first, in my supply career, i’d take anything. Now I can be a lot more picky!